Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » ["Solved"] Commit in submodule wants to remove and re-add all files with folder appended a(["Solved"] Commit in submodule wants to remove and re-add all files with foldername appended as prefix.)
icon5.gif  ["Solved"] Commit in submodule wants to remove and re-add all files with folder appended a [message #997562] Tue, 08 January 2013 10:24 Go to next message
Mads Baggesen is currently offline Mads BaggesenFriend
Hi,

I have a setup with one master project (lets call it PROJ) and a list of submodules. I have checked them all out by cloning the master project and selecting the option to include submodules. I now have the structure:

workspace/PROJ
workspace/PROJ/ABC
workspace/PROJ/ABC/a.txt
workspace/PROJ/ABC/b.txt
workspace/PROJ/ABC/c.txt
workspace/PROJ/XYZ
workspace/PROJ/WWW

Now my problem is that when I change /ABC/a.txt and does a commit on the ABC submodule from within Eclipse get the following "changed" list:

Removed a.txt
Removed b.txt
Removed c.txt
Untracked /ABC/a.txt
Untracked /ABC/b.txt
Untracked /ABC/c.txt

Can someone give me hints on why this happens, and maybe a way to get past it.

If i go to the console and does a "git status" in workspace/PROJ/ABC/ I get this:

# Not currently on any branch.
# Changes not staged for commit:
# (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
# (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
#
# modified: a.txt
#
# Untracked files:
# (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
#
# Foo/

Foo is a directory which is not and should not be versioned.

Thank you in advance for any help, it will be greatly appreciated. Please tell me if you need any additional information.

Mads

[Updated on: Tue, 22 January 2013 13:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Commit in submodule wants to remove and re-add all files with foldername appended as prefix [message #1002253 is a reply to message #997562] Fri, 18 January 2013 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Do you have any suggestions on who to ask if not in this forum?

I really have a problem with this, and if I cannot resolve it I will have to get rid of Egit and handle all my git work from console - which will be a real set back.

/Mads
Re: Commit in submodule wants to remove and re-add all files with foldername appended as prefix [message #1002388 is a reply to message #1002253] Fri, 18 January 2013 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
EGit support for subdmodules is still an at early stage. It works well if you plan to use the submodules as a kind of updateable library that you don't modify yourself, in other words if someone else is maintaining this repository.

If you're the one who's responsible for maintaining such a repository, by modifying and updating submodules, EGit will not be very helpful, at least not so far. You'll have to do some operations with command-line Git (commit, for instance), status decorations won't be correct, the Git Staging view won't be correct, etc.

[Updated on: Sat, 19 January 2013 14:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Commit in submodule wants to remove and re-add all files with foldername appended as prefix [message #1004044 is a reply to message #1002388] Tue, 22 January 2013 13:44 Go to previous message
Thank you for your answer.

I think I will split to project into separate repositories instead of having to work around e-git/submodule quirks.

Previous Topic:Equivalent of `git add -A` and `git show` in jGit
Next Topic:Unable to push commits with EGit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:44:13 GMT 2024