Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Orion (Archived) » Calling custom server-side service from editor events
Calling custom server-side service from editor events [message #997281] Fri, 04 January 2013 21:54 Go to next message
Cameron Bateman is currently offline Cameron BatemanFriend
Is there a mechanism or best-practice by which I can reload data from my Orion server in response to editor events? Consider the following scenario:

I have an Orion server where I have used the org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry.filters extension to add a filter to the file servlet so that I can trap server-side file saves (those that are triggered by hitting "Save" in the browser-based editor). When this happens I want run, on the server, some code that "builds" the file or project that has changed (basically the familiar build mechanism as on client Eclipse). Then I want to return some results of this build, say validation results to the editor and pass it in through the client side validation extension point so that my problems will manifest as markers on the client-side editor.

I understand that I can implement the validation as client-side code through the js validation mechanism but in my case I have a lot of this logic already implemented in Java and rewriting it all as Javascript is not really something I want to do.

If implementing the filter is the wrong approach, I'm happy to do this in a different way -- this just seemed like the easiest way to modify Orion server behavior without modifying Orion code.

Thanks,

Cameron
Re: Calling custom server-side service from editor events [message #1000464 is a reply to message #997281] Mon, 14 January 2013 20:42 Go to previous message
John Arthorne is currently offline John ArthorneFriend
Unfortunately there is no reliable way to do this at the moment. The main focus in Orion so far has been client side tools. On the server, even a filter in the Java process won't catch everything - for example git changes occur at a lower level and there could be other processes on the server interacting with the files. We have a similar problem maintaining the search index on the server and we currently handle it via scanning the file system for changes in the background.
Previous Topic:is there a debug plugin available for eclipse orion ?
Next Topic:Disabling System Plugins
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 06:08:07 GMT 2024