Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content
Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content [message #996935] Thu, 03 January 2013 08:35 Go to next message
Mike Whittaker is currently offline Mike WhittakerFriend
I have some Eclipse projects which are organised as linked folders, either local directories or RSE directories.

It would be very convenient if I could version control the project content in one place via Egit/Eclipse locally (Team: ...) without needing to place the actual (remote) folders' content under git each on its own system, and have to run command-line git remotely.

Is there any means of working in this way, or does Egit only work with actual local content ? (or folders under git remotely).

Needless to say I have tried this already, but with 'Team:Add files' get "Failed to add files to index ...", the only thing apparently under git is the .project file, with the linked folder content being unacknowledged.

Also trying 'Team:Commit', "An internal error occurred
Entry not found by path: MyProj/MyRemoteLinkedFolder/subdir/firstfile.py"

This might turn out to be a 'Linked Folders' or 'Eclipse FS' issue rather than a 'Egit / Version control' issue ...
Re: Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content [message #997116 is a reply to message #996935] Thu, 03 January 2013 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Philippe is currently offline PhilippeFriend
Hello Mike,

EGit partially supports git submodules !

See: http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Submodules

Best wishes,
Philippe
Re: Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content [message #997159 is a reply to message #997116] Fri, 04 January 2013 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks! - but not relevant to my question, which is about Eclipse linked folder content.
Re: Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content [message #997194 is a reply to message #997159] Fri, 04 January 2013 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Philippe is currently offline PhilippeFriend
Mike,

With git, we can play with external locations with
- submodules,
- symbolic links.
I think that Eclipse RSE is not in this scope !

EGit does not support symbolic links (Note: egit team plan to implement this
feature in JGit).
See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=354367

So, I think that the best solution is to have one or more repositories on
each filesystem... and, maybe, assemble all through sub-modules !

Regards,
Philippe
Re: Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content [message #997196 is a reply to message #997194] Fri, 04 January 2013 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, but still not relevant since I'm referring to Eclipse Linked Folders, not filesystem symlinks, or git submodules.

This earlier question is closer to the point:
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/281166/785736/#msg_785736
Re: Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content [message #997635 is a reply to message #996935] Fri, 04 January 2013 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
Mike Whittaker skrev 2013-01-03 14.48:
> I have some Eclipse projects which are organised as linked folders, either local directories or RSE directories.
>
> It would be very convenient if I could version control the project content in one place via Egit/Eclipse locally (Team: ...) without needing to place the actual (remote)
> folders' content under git each on its own system, and have to run command-line git remotely.
>
> Is there any means of working in this way, or does Egit only work with actual local content ? (or folders under git remotely).
>

Neither Linked Folders nor RSE is supported by EGit at this moment. Not even ignoring them is complete, though,some patches are underway to fix that part. The linked
(target) resources should be tracked in the location they appear, as normal files.

Supporting RSE would probably require a *lot* of reorganizing within EGit/JGit. The core of EGit, i.e. JGit, assume all resources are files in the end and that access
to the file system is a cheap thing. I'm not aware of any plans in that direction. If you can mount the remote file system using NFS, CIFS, FuSE or something like that,
that will probably work, though not very fast.

-- robin
Re: Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content [message #998221 is a reply to message #997635] Wed, 09 January 2013 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks robin,

I was using RSE since that claimed to avoid having to mount filesystems using NFS etc !

"The advantages of using linked resources and an RSE-supplied EFS are that the tools that the workbench provides are available directly on the remote source."

However I was under no illusion that such transparency would be easy to achieve ...

Prior to EFS I was considering developing a daemon to run on a remote system that would support remote filesystem features, but that was mainly triggered by the time taken to Search and Index on remote systems with a slow connection.

I probably really require an EFS / RSE variant which (write-back) caches locally on access, to 'real' files which could then be managed with EGit etc.

Alternatively, a Linux device driver which can "rse-mount" a remote filesystem ...

Regards,
Mike
Re: Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content [message #998338 is a reply to message #998221] Wed, 09 January 2013 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Could you explain why you want to version files on another machine than the one you are
running Eclipse on then maybe we could propose a different solution than Eclipse linked
folders or mounting a remote file system.

Do you want to modify the files to be versioned on the other machine through your
Eclipse instance or in a different way ?

--
Matthias
Re: Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content [message #998619 is a reply to message #998338] Thu, 10 January 2013 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The deployment system (remote) will not have a version control client installed, but it will be running Python which is what the test applications are written in.

It was intended that changes be made on the remote system using Eclipse on a workstation, and the changes so made could be tracked through Eclipse, rather than having to tar up the remote source each time, or make edits on the workstation and rsync / copy it back each time.

NFS mounting could certainly be an option but I was thinking with EFS/RSE that could be avoided.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 January 2013 14:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content [message #998838 is a reply to message #998619] Thu, 10 January 2013 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Is the deployment system not allowed to have Git installed? Or is the problem rather that it can't access the server repository and therefore can't 'pull' f? If the latter, Git bundles are very handy way to deal with this configuration. I use bundles to update hosts that are completely offline, for security reasons. It's a very efficient way to keep a full clone in sync, without net access.

EGit won't help you at the moment -- maybe some day EGit will support bundle creation (and bundle pulling) but at this point I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, using command-line Git to create a bundle is fairly straightforward.

Re: Can EGit be used to version control Linked Folder content [message #999030 is a reply to message #998838] Fri, 11 January 2013 07:34 Go to previous message
Thanks, that might be of interest.

I think I took the EFS/RSE premise at face value ... PyDev does not work 'seamlessly' over RSE either, so I should perhaps move the 'main' source work area back to the workstation and rsync/ftp back each time. Would have been handy if EFS/RSE could have worked in that mode for me Wink
Previous Topic:Single file is shown several times in commit dialog
Next Topic:forced push automatically does force fetch?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:39:38 GMT 2024