Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » [RESOLVED] Cannot ignore files/directories
[RESOLVED] Cannot ignore files/directories [message #996711] Wed, 02 January 2013 18:31 Go to next message
Dennis Putnam is currently offline Dennis PutnamFriend
I have a Java project set up with git using EGit and most everything is working. What I cannot get working is ignoring files/directories. I've tried creating a .gitignore file as well as setting team ignored resources. None seem to work. When I make changes to the "ignored" files/directories they still show up as unstaged changes. What am I doing wrong? TIA.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 January 2013 14:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot ignore files/directories [message #996761 is a reply to message #996711] Wed, 02 January 2013 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Philippe is currently offline PhilippeFriend
As mentioned in the git manual, the gitignore file specifies intentionally
untracked files to ignore...

Best wishes,
--
Philippe
Re: Cannot ignore files/directories [message #996775 is a reply to message #996761] Wed, 02 January 2013 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry but I don't understand what you are saying. What is the difference between "intentionally untracked files to ignore" and files I don't want tracked to be ignored?
Re: Cannot ignore files/directories [message #996915 is a reply to message #996775] Thu, 03 January 2013 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Dennis,

It works for me. You've tried refreshing the view? Maybe you can show
an example of what's not working and what you tried, including the
contents of the .gitignore files you tried.

On 02/01/2013 10:54 PM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> Sorry but I don't understand what you are saying. What is the
> difference between "intentionally untracked files to ignore" and files
> I don't want tracked to be ignored?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Cannot ignore files/directories [message #997050 is a reply to message #996915] Thu, 03 January 2013 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply. Not only refreshing the view but also quitting and restarting Eclipse. I am starting off simple. When I run the application in Eclipse, it builds it in the bin directory. That is what I am trying to ignore initially. My .gitignore file is very simple (I've tried several variations including the absolute path, with and without a trailing *, etc.):

*\bin\

After running my application, the entire bin directory shows up (git repository exploring) in the unstaged changes area. It also contains .gitignore which my be related or just something else I need to ignore when I get this working.

As I mentioned, I also have bin in the preferences->team->ignored resources.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 January 2013 14:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot ignore files/directories [message #997074 is a reply to message #997050] Thu, 03 January 2013 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got it! The file wants *NIX file path separators (/) not Windows (\) separators. Sheesh!
Re: Cannot ignore files/directories [message #997113 is a reply to message #996775] Thu, 03 January 2013 18:26 Go to previous message
Philippe is currently offline PhilippeFriend
'untracketd' means 'out of git'

To temporarily ignore a indexed file you have with the action 'Team> Assume
unchanged' (equivalent to git update-index --assume-unchanged <file>).

See
http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.egit.doc%2Fhelp%2FEGit%2FUser_Guide%2FReference.html

Regards,
--
Philippe
Previous Topic:[RESOLVED] Help Setting Up Eclipse with Egit
Next Topic:Understanding Branches
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:19:02 GMT 2024