Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Eclipse like extension points in WebApp(Eclipse like extension points in WebApp)
Eclipse like extension points in WebApp [message #995630] Sun, 30 December 2012 18:26 Go to next message
Erik Gollot is currently offline Erik GollotFriend
Hey,

In Eclipse, we use OSGI but also the concept of "Extension point" and Extension point implementers.
Did you think of such a mecanism for WebApp ?

I think about a mechanism with a kind of extension point registry where a WebApp can register extension points and other WepApp can register implementers of these extension points. A WebApp can then ask for "implementers" dynamically and then, like in Eclipse, extends itself with known interfaces implementers.

Maybe there is an existing mechanism to do it with Virgo ?

Thanks for any answer
Re: Eclipse like extension points in WebApp [message #996623 is a reply to message #995630] Wed, 02 January 2013 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Check out the Virgo snaps framework for dynamic extensibility of web apps. Snaps pre-reqs Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat.
Re: Eclipse like extension points in WebApp [message #997212 is a reply to message #996623] Fri, 04 January 2013 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik Gollot is currently offline Erik GollotFriend
Thanks for your answer but it's not what I'm looking for.
Maybe I should not speak about WebApp or maybe I'm not clear enough.

What I'm looking for is a mechanism which help me to make this "scenario" possible.

1- "Inside" WebApp1, I define an extension point EP1
2- In WebApp2 and WebApp3 or "somewhere", I create an implementation of EP1, lets says IMP1 et IMP2
3- When WebApp1 starts, it can look for implementations of EP1 ...IMP1 and IMP2 will be discovered
4- WebApp1 uses IMP1 and IMP2

Extension Points are for the "server side" of my WebApp, not for the UI part.

Thanks if you've any idea.............if I'm clear Sad

[Updated on: Fri, 04 January 2013 13:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse like extension points in WebApp [message #997295 is a reply to message #997212] Sat, 05 January 2013 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frieder Heugel is currently offline Frieder HeugelFriend
Hi

WebApp1 could provide a service interface and WebApp2/3 could import the interface and register their own implementation for it. Once WebApp1 needs an implementation of the interface it can look up registered implementations (e.g. whiteboard pattern). With rankings and properties/filters you can even ensure that only matching implementations are used. There is no need for a specific extension point registry imo as the OSGi service registry already provides all you need to achieve this.

BR
Frieder

[Updated on: Sat, 05 January 2013 02:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse like extension points in WebApp [message #1005766 is a reply to message #997295] Mon, 28 January 2013 16:29 Go to previous message
GianMaria Romanato is currently offline GianMaria RomanatoFriend
Hi Erik,

I am using the Equinox Extension Registry in Virgo.
It needs a bit of tweaking, but it works.

Giamma.

Developing for Virgo using PDE: http://bit.ly/1w0tTit
Global JNDI in Virgo: http://bit.ly/1to42mn
Hyperic to monitor Virgo: http://bit.ly/W1Fst9
Profile Virgo with JProfiler http://bit.ly/1FBLGCw
Previous Topic:Per-application log doesn't capture bundle startup message
Next Topic:Should Spring 3.0.7 be supported by Virgo 3.6?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:45:59 GMT 2024