Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Saving the Eclipse environment(Saving the eclipse envirionment to allow recreating the same environment)
Saving the Eclipse environment [message #992392] Fri, 21 December 2012 14:30 Go to next message
Jim Anderson is currently offline Jim AndersonFriend
I have been using Eclipse on a home project for a year or more now. Things work well and I'm happy with the environment. I would like to save the environment so that in the event that my PC dies, I restore the environment on a different computer.

It looks like import/export from the 'file' menu may do what I want. I can see that it saves files, directories and projects.

Can anyone tell me things like:

- right]custom perspectives
- run/debug configurations
- project properties

get exported with the project?

Thank you.

Jim Anderson
Re: Saving the Eclipse environment [message #992736 is a reply to message #992392] Sat, 22 December 2012 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephane Begaudeau is currently offline Stephane BegaudeauFriend

Hi,

Your project properties are saved in the subfolder ".settings" of your projects by most Eclipse-based tools. On the other side, workspace related properties (configuration of your perspectives etc...) will be saved in the ".metadata" folder at the root of your workspace. For example, in the folder "<workspaxeroot>.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.workbench", you have the configuration of your perspectives and working sets. If you want to recreate the same environment, you would need to back up the ".metadata" and the content of your projects (including files like ".project" which contains the nature of your project). If I were you, I would back up the Eclipse installation (to have the specific versions of the plugins) and the whole workspace.

Regards,

Stephane Begaudeau, Obeo

--
Twitter: @sbegaudeau
Google+: +stephane.begaudeau
Blog: http://stephanebegaudeau.tumblr.com | Eclipse Java Development Tools Tips and Tricks
Re: Saving the Eclipse environment [message #993528 is a reply to message #992736] Mon, 24 December 2012 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Anderson is currently offline Jim AndersonFriend

Hi Stephane,

Thank you for your suggestions. I looked over the information you provided and it does help.

One thing I would like to back and restore are the run/debug configurations. For example, when in Eclipse and I click on the menu item 'Run-->Debug Configurations' a window pops name 'Debug Configurations'. In this window, I have defined a number of debug configurations that I would like to be able to save and restore. I don't see these in .settings or .metadata (nor was I really expecting to find them there). Do you know where Eclipse stores this data in the worksapce?

Regards,
Jim Anderson
Re: Saving the Eclipse environment [message #993533 is a reply to message #993528] Mon, 24 December 2012 18:26 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
In the Debug Configurations window, there should be a Common tab. You can select to save the launch configurations in a project folder on this tab. That way, they will be available when sharing the project. Use the Save as: Shared file option on the tab.
Previous Topic:Uninstalling Eclipse on Ubuntu
Next Topic:Using Eclipse (Windows) with git plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:18:56 GMT 2024