Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Orbit » org.apache.commons.logging: add buddy policy
org.apache.commons.logging: add buddy policy [message #13271] Wed, 09 July 2008 22:06 Go to next message
Peter Friese is currently offline Peter FrieseFriend
Hi,

I want to use commons logging in conjunction with a home-grown custom logger that logs to the Eclipse Log.

My logger (public class PDELogger implements org.apache.commons.logging.Log) is located in a dedicated bundle. In order to be picked up by commons logging, the following steps have to be taken:

1) Add "Eclipse-BuddyPolicy: registered" to org.apache.commons.logging/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
2) Add "Eclipse-RegisterBuddy: org.apache.commons.logging" to org.eclipse.xtext.pdelogger/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF

3) In one of your other bundles, add "Eclipse-RegisterBuddy: org.apache.commons.logging" to your manifest file.
4) In the same bundle, create a file "commons-logging.properties" on the classpath (e.g. in /src) and add the following line to this property files:
org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.eclipse.xtext.pdelogger.P DELogger

That's it.

Currently, I am using my own copy of commons logging, containing a patched manifest file. Hiwever, I'd like to avoid having to copy'n'patch orbit bundles.

I know this issue has been discussed a lot, but still: is there any chance to have commons logging modified accordingly in the orbit?

Peter
--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo
Re: org.apache.commons.logging: add buddy policy [message #13352 is a reply to message #13271] Tue, 15 July 2008 19:23 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: jeff.code9.com

Peter,

Please open an orbit bug with an example of the changes you would like
to see.

Jeff

Peter Friese wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use commons logging in conjunction with a home-grown custom logger that logs to the Eclipse Log.
>
> My logger (public class PDELogger implements org.apache.commons.logging.Log) is located in a dedicated bundle. In order to be picked up by commons logging, the following steps have to be taken:
>
> 1) Add "Eclipse-BuddyPolicy: registered" to org.apache.commons.logging/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
> 2) Add "Eclipse-RegisterBuddy: org.apache.commons.logging" to org.eclipse.xtext.pdelogger/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
>
> 3) In one of your other bundles, add "Eclipse-RegisterBuddy: org.apache.commons.logging" to your manifest file.
> 4) In the same bundle, create a file "commons-logging.properties" on the classpath (e.g. in /src) and add the following line to this property files:
> org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.eclipse.xtext.pdelogger.P DELogger
>
> That's it.
>
> Currently, I am using my own copy of commons logging, containing a patched manifest file. Hiwever, I'd like to avoid having to copy'n'patch orbit bundles.
>
> I know this issue has been discussed a lot, but still: is there any chance to have commons logging modified accordingly in the orbit?
>
> Peter
Re: org.apache.commons.logging: add buddy policy [message #563941 is a reply to message #13271] Tue, 15 July 2008 19:23 Go to previous message
Jeff McAffer is currently offline Jeff McAfferFriend
Peter,

Please open an orbit bug with an example of the changes you would like
to see.

Jeff

Peter Friese wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use commons logging in conjunction with a home-grown custom logger that logs to the Eclipse Log.
>
> My logger (public class PDELogger implements org.apache.commons.logging.Log) is located in a dedicated bundle. In order to be picked up by commons logging, the following steps have to be taken:
>
> 1) Add "Eclipse-BuddyPolicy: registered" to org.apache.commons.logging/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
> 2) Add "Eclipse-RegisterBuddy: org.apache.commons.logging" to org.eclipse.xtext.pdelogger/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
>
> 3) In one of your other bundles, add "Eclipse-RegisterBuddy: org.apache.commons.logging" to your manifest file.
> 4) In the same bundle, create a file "commons-logging.properties" on the classpath (e.g. in /src) and add the following line to this property files:
> org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.eclipse.xtext.pdelogger.P DELogger
>
> That's it.
>
> Currently, I am using my own copy of commons logging, containing a patched manifest file. Hiwever, I'd like to avoid having to copy'n'patch orbit bundles.
>
> I know this issue has been discussed a lot, but still: is there any chance to have commons logging modified accordingly in the orbit?
>
> Peter
Previous Topic:Orbit packages with versions]
Next Topic:Orbit packages with versions]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:22:43 GMT 2024