Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » sluggish editor / visible repaint of scrolled-in content while cursor scrolling
sluggish editor / visible repaint of scrolled-in content while cursor scrolling [message #992255] Fri, 21 December 2012 08:13 Go to next message
Matthias Dahl is currently offline Matthias DahlFriend
Hello @community.

I am having a very annoying / distracting problem which is easy to reproduce: Load a file which has lines that are longer than your horizontal width of your text editor. Now use your home / end key and cursor keys to jump around in that line, so that larger chunks need to be repainted. What you will notice (at least in my case): The old content will be moved and after that the new content will be painted in visibly, meaning: You can actually see it happening. You will see it clearer if you have also filed up the screen vertically with lines.

I have described everything here in more detail: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=396141

I already asked on IRC for advice / help but did not receive any word. My bug report has not seen any activity unfortunately either. Sad

Nevertheless, this is absolutely annoying. I have tried IntelliJ / PyCharm and it is as smooth as a native application.

If anyone can help me out on this one, it would be very much appreciated. Right now I am about to go invest the money and buy an IntelliJ license and call it a day which is a pity because I really like a lot of aspects that Eclipse has to offer.

Thanks a lot in advance...
matthias.
Re: sluggish editor / visible repaint of scrolled-in content while cursor scrolling [message #992359 is a reply to message #992255] Fri, 21 December 2012 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Does changing the theme make any difference? Have you tried installing different themes ( https://github.com/jeeeyul/eclipse-themes/ ) ?

My guess is that it is pretty specific with regard to your operating system. The bugs/enhancements are handled in a sort of priority queue because there are a lot of them. Also threatening the move to IntelliJ is not going to speed up things, and not because we don't care but for every bug that we touch/invest time, we ignore hundreds of other bugs (people requesting their bugs fixed just like you), thus the prioritization.
Re: sluggish editor / visible repaint of scrolled-in content while cursor scrolling [message #992373 is a reply to message #992359] Fri, 21 December 2012 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Sopot...

Thanks for your reply. First of all, let me apologize if what I wrote came across any different than I intended. I never intended to threaten anyone with my remark about possibly switching IDEs. That's absolutely not my nature. It was merely meant as a comparision of how annoying I personally find this and that I was honestly considering that. Besides that, I know the Eclipse project has to fight with a lack of manpower and I know most (if no all) are working on this project at their free time which is very much appreciated. And I would never demand anything or threaten anyone to fix or implement something...

With that out of the way: I haven't tried eclipse-themes yet since I made my own modifications and use the eclipsecolorthemes plugin but I honestly doubt it will make a difference. Sad Neither a vanilla install nor w/ or w/o any of my plugins (including the latest Aptana Studio plugin which I also tried as an experiment) have made any difference at all... either good or bad. The same goes for the different available styles (classic, default, gtk, ...).

I have also updated my bug report with some new tests I made... but right now, I am honestly out of ideas what else to try.

Thanks again...
matthias.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 December 2012 13:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: sluggish editor / visible repaint of scrolled-in content while cursor scrolling [message #992381 is a reply to message #992373] Fri, 21 December 2012 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi Matthias, no worries, maybe I was also a bit unnecessarily harsh in my response.

To the topic. There is a chance that changing the theme causes a change in the editor handling (throuh css, like https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=396780) that's why I said to try a new theme. IIRC Jeeeyul's theme changes the renderer also so it's worth giving it a try. If it doesn't work then the cause is (as I suspect) elsewhere.
Re: sluggish editor / visible repaint of scrolled-in content while cursor scrolling [message #992395 is a reply to message #992381] Fri, 21 December 2012 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Sopot...

No worries, that's the problem with the written word: It is easy to misunderstand and to interpret in a multitude of different ways that the original author usually did not even consider. Smile

I tried Jeeeyul's theme and that's really a nice plugin (wish I knew about it earlier). But the editor behaves exactly the same, unfortunately. Sad

My gut tells me that gtk is the culprit here... or some interaction between swt and gtk.

If you have anything else I could try, I am all ears.

Thanks again...
matthias.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 December 2012 14:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: sluggish editor / visible repaint of scrolled-in content while cursor scrolling [message #997403 is a reply to message #992395] Mon, 07 January 2013 10:29 Go to previous message
Hello...

First of all, a happy new year to all. Smile

Unfortunately I guess this problem cannot be solved by me as it is directly related to how Eclipse handles the viewport scrolling. Sad I looked into compiling SWT/... myself to to do some experiments, but as it stands, Eclipse is a beast to compile (in terms of dependencies etc.). Sad

If anyone has a workaround or fix, I'd be eternally grateful... Smile

Thanks again,
matthias
Previous Topic:Product export jar not generated
Next Topic:Open editor using CompatibilityEditor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:12:46 GMT 2024