Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » How do I create platform specific distributions via eclipse?
How do I create platform specific distributions via eclipse? [message #991622] Wed, 19 December 2012 21:45 Go to next message
dan royer is currently offline dan royerFriend
Thank you so much for the Eclipse project. I was really hesitant to step into Java for the longest time and your great IDE has made is painless - it's almost fun to code!

I have a java project written in Eclipse that uses some native libraries (RXTX for serial comm). The number one complaint I get from users is that it's too hard to start the app, even with startup scripts (.so on linux/osx, .bat on windows)

I'd really like to be able to export and either

a) get a single jar file that contains all the native libraries and figures out which one to use at the right time

or

b) have one jar for each platform that contains it's specific libraries

In a perfect world these would be generated when I hit "save", not when I export.

Which of these desires is most realistic and how to I achieve it?

FWIW, the project is: github.com/i-make-robots/drawbot/

Thank you!
Re: How do I create platform specific distributions via eclipse? [message #1412546 is a reply to message #991622] Tue, 26 August 2014 12:25 Go to previous message
Sotiria Dimou is currently offline Sotiria DimouFriend
Hi my friend i have the same problem. I have created an application that reads data from a port and i have installed the rtxt jar and lib. The application runs ok inside the eclipse and as a jar on my local machine , but when i tried it on an another machine(installed the jre first and not the rtxt libs) i run the jar file, i see it on processes as javaw.exe but it does not open. I thoght that the libs are packed with the jar , but it seems that they need to be installed separatelly.

So if if you get any ansewrs please let me know.
I really need a jar containing all the files and installations . My clients can not do that kind of staff .
Thank you

dan royer wrote on Wed, 19 December 2012 16:45
Thank you so much for the Eclipse project. I was really hesitant to step into Java for the longest time and your great IDE has made is painless - it's almost fun to code!

I have a java project written in Eclipse that uses some native libraries (RXTX for serial comm). The number one complaint I get from users is that it's too hard to start the app, even with startup scripts (.so on linux/osx, .bat on windows)

I'd really like to be able to export and either

a) get a single jar file that contains all the native libraries and figures out which one to use at the right time

or

b) have one jar for each platform that contains it's specific libraries

In a perfect world these would be generated when I hit "save", not when I export.

Which of these desires is most realistic and how to I achieve it?

FWIW, the project is: github.com/i-make-robots/drawbot/

Thank you!

Previous Topic:Eclipse Luna Standard 4.4
Next Topic:Question about compare editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:34:20 GMT 2024