Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Objectteams » Are there any Software Product Line examples using Object Teams?
Are there any Software Product Line examples using Object Teams? [message #991617] Wed, 19 December 2012 21:31 Go to next message
Steve Mayer is currently offline Steve MayerFriend
Hello,

I am writing a Paper about Software Product Lines (SPLs) and different object-oriented implementation strategies. A colleague of mine suggested to look at Object Teams.

I tried to search for the typical Software Product Line exmaples, but I couldn't find any SPL examples implemented with Object Teams. I would be particularly interested in the SPL exmaple "Graph Product Line", also called GPL.

Are there any other Software Product Line examples implemented in Object Teams? Is the Graph Product Line example availiable?
Other SPL examples are: Expression Product Line (EPL), Stock Brocker Exmaple, Stack exmaple, Calculator example, Bank Account example, etc.)

The Graph Product Line is from the following Paper:
Lopez-Herrejon, Roberto, and Don Batory. "A standard problem for evaluating product-line methodologies." Generative and Component-Based Software Engineering (2001): 10-24.

Best,
Stephan A.
Re: Are there any Software Product Line examples using Object Teams? [message #997793 is a reply to message #991617] Tue, 08 January 2013 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Sorry for the late response, this post kind of fell into the holiday gap Smile

There actually is a paper on using Object Teams for product lines:
Look at http://www.objectteams.org/publications/index.html#TOOLS07a
Although I know that the authors had quite some practical experience with OT/J the paper may be more high-level than what you are looking for.

We have a few small examples for feature based development, but I'm not sure if you'd accept those as product lines.
I'm right now looking at one example that might be worth sharing, but it hasn't been touched for almost 7 years, so I must first wipe off some dust ..

OTOH this means that it would be highly valuable if you'd provide an OT/J implementation for one of the examples that you are familiar with.

I'd like to share an observation from previous experiments in this direction: other approaches tend to use mixin-inheritance for composing features into an application. In OT/J, team inheritance can be used as a limited version of mixin-inheritance, but designs become much more flexible when preferring role-playing over inheritance. With role-playing the resulting composition can even be changed at runtime.

cheers,
Stephan
Re: Are there any Software Product Line examples using Object Teams? [message #1000015 is a reply to message #997793] Sun, 13 January 2013 19:34 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
I finally found the time to modernize the mentioned example.
Please find the "Company Hierarchy" at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Category:Object_Teams_Examples#External_examples.

Working on this example revealed a few bugs in the compiler, so to work with this example you need a recent build (>= 2.2.0.201301131317) from http://download.eclipse.org/objectteams/updates/unstable (which works best on Eclipse SDK 4.3 M4).

As mentioned it isn't strictly a product line, but some flavor of feature based design. I believe it should gives an idea how product lines can be implemented with OT/J, esp. if you relate this to the higher-level discussion in the TOOLS 07 paper.

Over time I'll also add some more documention into the sources. Let me know if you need that sooner rather than later.

cheers,
Stephan

Previous Topic:abstract with copy inheritance
Next Topic:Essence of the OT/J language
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:38:07 GMT 2024