Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Error message from debugger back end(Error message from debugger back end)
Error message from debugger back end [message #990648] Thu, 13 December 2012 15:14 Go to next message
Peter Burgess is currently offline Peter BurgessFriend
I am a new user and have been following the C/C++ development user guide, but only got as far as clicking the debug button before encountering an error.

The error is:
'Launching HelloWorld Debug' has encountered a problem.
Error in final lunch sequence
Failed to execute MI command:
maintenance set python print-stack off
Error message from debugger back end:
Undefined maintenance set command: "python print-stack off". Try "help maintenance set".
Undefined maintenance set command: "python print-stack off". Try "help maintenance set".

I don't think that I have missed out anything in the set up to cause the problem. I also don't know if the problem resides in Elcipse or in GDB, so any help in getting the debugger working would be appreciated.

Peter

I am using Eclipse CDT
Version: Juno Service Release 1
Build id: 20120920-0800
The complier and debuggger are from MinGW downloaded yesterday.
under windows XP SP3

Here is the .metadata log file showing the error.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb 4 5012 2012-12-13 14:12:08.707
!MESSAGE Error in final launch sequence
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Failed to execute MI command:
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.concurrent.Query.get(Query.java:114)
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.launching.GdbLaunchDelegate.launchDebugSession(GdbLaunchDelegate.java:206)
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.launching.GdbLaunchDelegate.launchDebugger(GdbLaunchDelegate.java:96)
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.launching.GdbLaunchDelegate.launch(GdbLaunchDelegate.java:85)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:855)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:704)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin.buildAndLaunch(DebugUIPlugin.java:1047)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$8.run(DebugUIPlugin.java:1251)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Undefined maintenance set command: "python print-stack off". Try "help maintenance set".
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.processMIOutput(AbstractMIControl.java:885)
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.run(AbstractMIControl.java:716)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb 4 10004 2012-12-13 14:12:08.707
!MESSAGE Failed to execute MI command:
!STACK 0
java.lang.Exception: Undefined maintenance set command: "python print-stack off". Try "help maintenance set".
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.processMIOutput(AbstractMIControl.java:885)
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.run(AbstractMIControl.java:716)
Re: Error message from debugger back end [message #990661 is a reply to message #990648] Thu, 13 December 2012 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
My guess is you have a bad gdb version or CDT version. You can google about this and/or check:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=367788

Marc
Re: Error message from debugger back end [message #990781 is a reply to message #990661] Fri, 14 December 2012 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Marc.
I had already looked at it, and at first reading it looked like the problem had been fixed by a patch in the latest versions of Eclipse. It would seem not.
I have got the debugger to run now, so for anyone else having just donladed the latest Eclipse CDT and MinGW and encountering the same problem, the solution is to find an old version of GDB.exe to replace the version 7.x in MinGW. It looks like the latest GDB server works. The only other problem that may be encountered is finding an old GDB.exe to download, fortunately I had one time stamped 2008 in a copy of Code Blocks and I am now using that in MingGW.

Peter
Re: Error message from debugger back end [message #990814 is a reply to message #990781] Fri, 14 December 2012 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is the version of the GDB that is giving you problems?
Re: Error message from debugger back end [message #991081 is a reply to message #990814] Mon, 17 December 2012 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was 7.5, the version downloaded by the mingw-get downloader last week. The version that works is 6.8
Peter
Re: Error message from debugger back end [message #991149 is a reply to message #991081] Mon, 17 December 2012 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This should not happen. CDT automatically uses the old "maintenance set python print-stack" for GDB < 7.4 and the new "-gdb-set python print-stack" command for GDB >= 7.4. My guess is that CDT is not detecting your GDB version correctly. Can you run the following from the command-line and copy/paste the exact output here?

gdb --version
Re: Error message from debugger back end [message #991174 is a reply to message #991149] Mon, 17 December 2012 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later < web address gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-mingw32".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<web address gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.

http removed to allow posting

[Updated on: Mon, 17 December 2012 15:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Error message from debugger back end [message #991598 is a reply to message #991174] Wed, 19 December 2012 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The GDB version is correct. You must have an incorrect CDT. Try getting the latest available CDT.

Or you could use GDB 7.4, which should work fine.

Marc
Re: Error message from debugger back end [message #991796 is a reply to message #991598] Thu, 20 December 2012 08:16 Go to previous message
I've uninstalled everything, including other compilers that use GCC etc, and re-installed from the latest versions; a good opportunity to update and have a clear out. Everything seems to work fine now, so there must have been some corruption somewhere.
Thanks for the help
Peter
Previous Topic:Undefined Reference to GMP
Next Topic:code syntax formatter no indent after __init
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:57:17 GMT 2024