Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Function parameter hovers / tooltips
icon3.gif  Function parameter hovers / tooltips [message #990541] Thu, 13 December 2012 00:20 Go to next message
Gravity Well is currently offline Gravity WellFriend
I'd like to know if there is some trick to getting tooltip or hover help when entering parameters in C++ functions or methods.

I see that I can hover over a function and get a popup, and that's nice, but it disappears once I start entering parameters. This is an example of how it can work in Visual Studio:

index.php/fa/12688/0/

The XML comments are similar to Doxygen. I was hoping Eclipse CDT might parse doxygen params, but it will only display them as a comment, and only when hovering over the function name. Ctrl+space while in the parameters only shows (int var1, float var2) in the above example, so any parameter details are not visible.

As an alternative, is there some way to make the Eclipse function hover open with a keystroke? At least that way I could open it up when needed without using the mouse, and I could open it in the middle of a long parameter list.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 December 2012 14:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Function parameter hovers / tooltips [message #990617 is a reply to message #990541] Thu, 13 December 2012 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
You are not the only one wanting such a feature...
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=281437
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=251050
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=48215

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Function parameter hovers / tooltips [message #990636 is a reply to message #990541] Thu, 13 December 2012 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anton Leherbauer is currently offline Anton LeherbauerFriend
There are parameter hints available when you enter arguments for a function/method call. Press Ctrl+Shift+Space to get a hover with the parameter declarations.
The parameter hints are also displayed automatically when you insert a function/method via content assist.
Re: Function parameter hovers / tooltips [message #990641 is a reply to message #990636] Thu, 13 December 2012 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ctrl+space gives parameter info, i.e., (int var1, float var2) for the above example, but I was looking to get access to the hover help via keyboard for the function which includes my comments, or even better, see context sensitive parameter help from doxygen as shown in the screencap in the first post.

I don't see any difference between ctrl+space and ctrl+shift+space with my setup, not sure if I should expect to see a difference in the above context.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 December 2012 16:24]

Re: Function parameter hovers / tooltips [message #990678 is a reply to message #990641] Thu, 13 December 2012 18:19 Go to previous message
There is a feature in Eclipse JDT that is not in CDT, that gives a reasonable equivalent:

From the function hover, there is an option "show in Javadoc view". The doxygen help is then loaded into a panel and can be viewed as long as desired. It's also possible to assign a keystroke to this command "Show View (Javadoc)".

Example:
index.php/fa/12698/0/

index.php/fa/12699/0/
  • Attachment: showjava1.png
    (Size: 10.22KB, Downloaded 3934 times)
  • Attachment: showjava2.png
    (Size: 8.69KB, Downloaded 3614 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 13 December 2012 21:08]

Previous Topic:[Beginner help] How to make Eclipse generate binaries?
Next Topic:"C/C++ Remote Application" debug launch configuration issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:18:22 GMT 2024