Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Transitioning to Eclipse 4
Transitioning to Eclipse 4 [message #990436] Wed, 12 December 2012 13:53 Go to next message
Phil Beauvoir is currently offline Phil BeauvoirFriend
Hi, I'm exploring my options to transition a mature 3.8 Eclipse RCP application to Eclipse 4. It uses GEF editors and standard view parts with trees, tables, and a tabbed properties view. I've tried running it with the E4 compatibility layer and there are issues (yes, Bugzilla'd). I want to see whether I can re-write it as a pure E4 application using an Application model. To this end I've purchased Lars Vogel's book and am looking at his tutorials. Early days yet!

So, I have some questions...

1. How would I create an Editor part that extends GEF's GraphicalEditorWithFlyoutPalette editor part using the new application model? Would this have to rely on the compatibility layer and do it the "old way"?

2. I'm targeting Eclipse 4.3 M4 (by the time I'm done, 4.3 final will be released). What is the version of the Eclipse e4 tooling that works best with 4.3?

3. When will the E4 API be fixed? I don't understand the situation where after June 2013 Eclipse 3.8 is basically no longer supported and we are told we should use Eclipse 4.x, and yet the API is not fixed, the tooling is not included in the download by default and is at version 0.12. It seems going backwards (Eclipse 3.8 ) is not possible, yet going forwards is not quite fully baked.

Excuse my lack of understanding! I'm trying to embrace the new E4 paradigm after having spent 7 years trying to understand E3!

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Re: Transitioning to Eclipse 4 [message #990628 is a reply to message #990436] Thu, 13 December 2012 13:59 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
1. If your editor part relies on org.eclipse.ui* bundles most likely you will have to use the compatibility layer. Maybeyou can use the bridge (forward compatibility layer)in the tooling.
2. The latest one should be good. Use http://download.eclipse.org/e4/downloads/drops/I20121211-2200/repository as an update site.
3. IIRC most of it will be frozen by 4.3. The tooling is pretty mature despite the 0.12 version number.
Previous Topic:Filter projects based on active perspective
Next Topic:Searching for a value in all active contexts?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:17:19 GMT 2024