Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » No rule to make target 'all'. Stop.
No rule to make target 'all'. Stop. [message #990046] Mon, 10 December 2012 16:24 Go to next message
Lalilu Lelo is currently offline Lalilu LeloFriend
Hi everyone.
I can't find a solution to my problem and i've been looking all around the web.
Basically I imported a project from git (OpenGL project), coverted it to C++ using autotools and when i try to build it I get the following error message:

16:19:55 **** Incremental Build of configuration Build (GNU) for project ci224-lecture4 ****
make all 
make: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.

16:19:55 Build Finished (took 69ms)

Any ideaS? It's urgent.
Thanks for reading
Re: No rule to make target 'all'. Stop. [message #990100 is a reply to message #990046] Mon, 10 December 2012 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam Goodwin is currently offline Adam GoodwinFriend
Does the project have a makefile?
Re: No rule to make target 'all'. Stop. [message #990125 is a reply to message #990100] Tue, 11 December 2012 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalilu Lelo is currently offline Lalilu LeloFriend
Yes it does. Makefile.am Makefile.in
Re: No rule to make target 'all'. Stop. [message #990140 is a reply to message #990125] Tue, 11 December 2012 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam Goodwin is currently offline Adam GoodwinFriend
Usually a makefile is simply named "Makefile" with no extension.

A bit of Googling tells me that you should have a script called "configure" included with the project files. If you open a terminal, get to your project directory, then type "./configure", a makefile called "Makefile" should be created.

If the Eclipse project is set up correctly, then I think that building should work straight away as soon as you've got that makefile.
Re: No rule to make target 'all'. Stop. [message #1719404 is a reply to message #990140] Thu, 07 January 2016 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Despina Mouratidi is currently offline Despina MouratidiFriend
Hello guys, i have the same problem with bulding moses project. I dont know where the makefile is but i think it does exist. I opened the terminal, got to my project directory but when i type ./configure it is said ''bash: ./configure: No such file or directory''

It will be great if you guys can help.

Many tanks.
Re: No rule to make target 'all'. Stop. [message #1719418 is a reply to message #990046] Thu, 07 January 2016 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
You're probably not in the correct directory in the project tree.

Check the root directory for Readme or Install file and read it.

For autotools, a starter could be: <http://markuskimius.wikidot.com/programming:tut:autotools/>.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: No rule to make target 'all'. Stop. [message #1719442 is a reply to message #1719418] Thu, 07 January 2016 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
You probably didn't create the project since you didn't know about Makefile.am and what to do about the missing configure file.
Some projects include a shell script that runs automake (sometimes call automake.sh but could be anything). If you have one, try running it first. You could run automake as standalone .

Automake generates configure. You still aren't out of the woods yet. If you have missing libraries configure will complain.

If all else fails you could try to go through the tutorial that Tauno linked but it assumes certain adherence not followed by all projects. The tutorial has an unexplained step $ vi configure.ac in the summary but likely it was to fix the automake errors preceding it. Hopefully you won't find it necessary.
Re: No rule to make target 'all'. Stop. [message #1723737 is a reply to message #1719442] Wed, 17 February 2016 13:31 Go to previous message
Despina Mouratidi is currently offline Despina MouratidiFriend
Thank you very much, i solved this problem.
Previous Topic:Arduino CDT Windows for ESP8266: Problem with Time.h/time.h
Next Topic:symlinked sources
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:15:06 GMT 2024