Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Trouble with Fortran projects under Linux(Unable to select toolchain for a new project)
Trouble with Fortran projects under Linux [message #989913] Mon, 10 December 2012 00:15 Go to next message
Emanuele Frandi is currently offline Emanuele FrandiFriend
Hello,
I'm a relatively inexperienced user and I'm having trouble creating Fortran projects in Eclipse under Linux. I installed the latest version and had no problem running it.

However, whenever I try creating a new executable Fortran project, the toolchain selection box is empty.

I tried to import an existing project, and by opening the "properties" menu I was able to set GCC Fortran as the current toolchain. I tried to compile and everything went smoothly. So I know I have what I need on my system, I just can't get GCC to show/be recognized under the project creation menu.

I've spent several hours googling for a solution, to no avail. Any tip would be extremely helpful.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Re: Trouble with Fortran projects under Linux [message #990551 is a reply to message #989913] Thu, 13 December 2012 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Choi is currently offline Kevin ChoiFriend
I had the same problem but I think I found the work around. When you create a Fortran project, do not use anything under "Executable". You should use one under "Static Library". When you expand the Static Library, you will see something like

Executable (GNU gfortran on Linux/*nix)

Try this and it will use the GNU gfortran toolchain. I was able to compile my fortran codes without any trouble.

I am using Eclipse Juno under Fedora17 32bit, FYI.

If you need further information, this might help.

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.photran.doc.user%2Fhtml%2Fbasic%2FCompilingFortran.html

Kevin
Re: Trouble with Fortran projects under Linux [message #990675 is a reply to message #990551] Thu, 13 December 2012 17:44 Go to previous message
Emanuele Frandi is currently offline Emanuele FrandiFriend
Yes, that's it! I overlooked the "Executable (GNU gfortran on Lunux/*nix)" option because of its positioning.

I thought it was a child of the "Static Library" folder, but it's actually an independent option. It's just positioned below "Static Library" for some reason, I didn't have to expand "Static Library". I was used to Eclipse on Mac OS, where the menu was arranged differently, and got confused.

Thanks
Previous Topic:SW engineer
Next Topic:Bearable screen flashing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:06:35 GMT 2024