Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Not receiving an error message on failure to create New Data Set
Not receiving an error message on failure to create New Data Set [message #989591] Thu, 06 December 2012 21:46 Go to next message
David Visitor is currently offline David VisitorFriend
I'm new to BIRT and I'm using the pentaho metadata plugin.

I've successfully created a new report with a data source. However, when I go to create a new 'data set' and click 'Next' nothing happens. I do not receive any error message and it does not load the next page.

Does the error get logged to a file somewhere? Or is there a flag that I need to set (like a jvm option displayStackTraces=true)?

Thanks!

index.php/fa/12629/0/
Re: Not receiving an error message on failure to create New Data Set [message #989811 is a reply to message #989591] Sat, 08 December 2012 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

I'm not familiar with the Pentaho Metadata ODA plugin, so I don't know what all you get in the UI. When you click on next, Finish doesn't become available? Which version of BIRT are you using? And which version of the plug-in?

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis

[Updated on: Sat, 08 December 2012 00:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Not receiving an error message on failure to create New Data Set [message #990036 is a reply to message #989811] Mon, 10 December 2012 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the response. I'm running eclipse birt version 20120920-0800 with the plugin version 1.0.2.

I eventually found the error log for BIRT and the following stacktrace is printed to the error log whenever I click 'next':

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2012-12-10 09:49:19.102
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument cannot be null
	at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4342)
	at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4276)
	at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4247)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.error(Widget.java:468)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.List.setItems(List.java:1197)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.pentaho.ui.impl.CustomDataSetWizardPage.updateBusinessColumnsList(CustomDataSetWizardPage.java:234)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.pentaho.ui.impl.CustomDataSetWizardPage.createBusinessColumnsList(CustomDataSetWizardPage.java:206)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.pentaho.ui.impl.CustomDataSetWizardPage.createPageControl(CustomDataSetWizardPage.java:134)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.pentaho.ui.impl.CustomDataSetWizardPage.createPageCustomControl(CustomDataSetWizardPage.java:107)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.design.ui.wizards.DataSetWizardPage.createControl(DataSetWizardPage.java:123)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.Wizard.createPageControls(Wizard.java:174)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.createPageControls(WizardDialog.java:736)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.setWizard(WizardDialog.java:1182)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.updateForPage(WizardDialog.java:1241)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.access$4(WizardDialog.java:1238)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog$8.run(WizardDialog.java:1227)
	at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.showPage(WizardDialog.java:1225)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.nextPressed(WizardDialog.java:915)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.buttonPressed(WizardDialog.java:428)
	at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog$2.widgetSelected(Dialog.java:624)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:248)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4169)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3758)
	at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:825)
	at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:801)
	at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.actions.NewDataSetAction.createNewDataSet(NewDataSetAction.java:193)
	at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.actions.NewDataSetAction.run(NewDataSetAction.java:181)
	at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:498)
	at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:584)
	at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:501)
	at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4169)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3758)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1029)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:923)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:86)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:588)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:543)
	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)

Re: Not receiving an error message on failure to create New Data Set [message #990098 is a reply to message #990036] Mon, 10 December 2012 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ok. So, I'm assuming your BIRT version is 4.2.1, based on what you posted above. The two plugins I found for pentaho are for 2.3.2 and 2.6.1. Which of the 1.0.2 plugins are you using? Either way, you might have issues with a plugin built for 2.6.1, in 4.2.1.

Michael

Re: Not receiving an error message on failure to create New Data Set [message #990106 is a reply to message #990098] Mon, 10 December 2012 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually since my last post, I've installed BIRT 2.6.1 so that I now have both versions on my workstation. The version of the pentaho metadata plugin which I am using is the one for BIRT version 2.6.1.

I also have two different copies of BIRT installed. One of them is 2.6.1 and the other one is the 4.2.1 instance that I posted about earlier. I receive the same stacktrace with both of them.

I also have two bi-servers. One of them is installed on my local workstation and only has the pentaho demo data. The other one is on a testing machine and has my actual database schema.

From both BIRT 2.6.1 and BIRT 4.2.1, the pentaho plugin can connect to my local bi-server and retrieve a list of tables. However, neither of them can connect to the testing machine. I initially thought that maybe there was a connectivity issue to the testing machine. However, I then came across the following unusual behavior:

1. I go to create a new data set
2. I point it at the data source for my external testing machine and click next.
3. Nothing happens and I wait a few minutes.
4. Then, I click the data source for my local instance and click next.
5. The resulting page lists about half of the available tables in my external testing machine (and not the tables from the local instance - the two sets of tables are completely disjoint).

This leads me to believe that there is some kind of timeout setting somewhere in BIRT. Is there any configurable timeout where BIRT gives up on a connection if the data doesn't transfer in x milliseconds? The data set on the testing machine is quite large and it may be exceeding the timeout........
Re: Not receiving an error message on failure to create New Data Set [message #990124 is a reply to message #990106] Tue, 11 December 2012 00:32 Go to previous message

The only dataSet timeout setting, I can think of, in the designer, is in the preferences under report design -> DataSet Editor -> JDBC Data Set. You could try changing this.

Did you follow all of the configuration steps in the installation instructions, of the plugin? http://code.google.com/p/birt-pentahometadata-plugin/wiki/Plugin_Installation

Michael

[Updated on: Tue, 11 December 2012 00:42]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Dynamic width
Next Topic:Why don't display 0 in aggregate information
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:15:09 GMT 2024