Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How to create and execute C project with Eclipse?(How can I execute Hello world?)
How to create and execute C project with Eclipse? [message #989580] Thu, 06 December 2012 20:25 Go to next message
JD Wong is currently offline JD WongFriend
I'm using Eclipse for C/C++ developers
Version: Indigo Service Release 2
Build id: 20120216-1857

I can't for my life figure out how to create a new C project, and execute that project successfully.

The tutorials I can find online are out of date or take steps that are unavailable to me.

Whenever I try to run a new source file it fails because the binary is not found.

My question boils down to: does anyone know how to create a simple "Hello world" from scratch in eclipse?

Re: How to create and execute C project with Eclipse? [message #989688 is a reply to message #989580] Fri, 07 December 2012 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
JD Wong wrote on Thu, 06 December 2012 21:25

My question boils down to: does anyone know how to create a simple "Hello world" from scratch in eclipse?

File->New->C++ Project
and then select Executable->Hello World

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: How to create and execute C project with Eclipse? [message #990650 is a reply to message #989688] Thu, 13 December 2012 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Axel,

Thanks for the advice. When I follow these steps, I cannot run the code it produces. It doesn't recognize "#include <iostream>" or cout. When I try running, it can't find the binaries. Do you know how to configure a project with libraries and a compiler? I'm not sure why that isn't set up automatically when I create the project...

Thank you!
Re: How to create and execute C project with Eclipse? [message #991314 is a reply to message #990650] Tue, 18 December 2012 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Did you install a compiler? Did you build the project before running? Did you read the CDT manual?

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: How to create and execute C project with Eclipse? [message #995065 is a reply to message #991314] Sat, 29 December 2012 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Axel,

There is a lot of documentation, but it is either outdated or doesn't apply. Can you supply a link to the CDT manual?
Re: How to create and execute C project with Eclipse? [message #997280 is a reply to message #995065] Fri, 04 January 2013 21:52 Go to previous message
Derek Reitz is currently offline Derek ReitzFriend
Bump. Nothing about Eclipse is friendly to new users. The fact that 1200 people have viewed this page yet not a single person has given a worthwhile response is representative of the this problem.
I assume that OP, as well as with myself and the large number of others reading this, have already set-up a compiler. There's an Eclipse page on installing it. The problem is, after that, Eclipse still doesn't recognize basic includes like stdio.h even though the standard default main that's created with the project includes them. Default projects build automatically, since includes don't work, any call will not compile and eclipse throws "Launch Failed. Binary not found."

Don't tell us to read the manual. The manual would take literal days to read. If you want to export all of Eclipse's fundamental problems off this forum, at least specify where you want us to go.
Previous Topic:Project Explorer Displays Incorrect Excluded Files
Next Topic:(changed) Problems linking lua libaries.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:26:49 GMT 2024