Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Image DPI
Image DPI [message #989433] Thu, 06 December 2012 08:31 Go to next message
Jan Krakora is currently offline Jan KrakoraFriend
Hi,

could someone explain me how image DPI works? Or when is it taken into account?

For example when I set image size in report in px, then 300 DPI leads to three times
smaller image than 100 DPI. But when I set the image size in mm, the image is always the same size whatever the DPI is,
so in this case DPI means nothing?

What about "fit to container", is it somehow related to the DPI? Are there any differences when generating to different outputs?
What about auto vs fixed layout?

Thanks for any help.
Re: Image DPI [message #989568 is a reply to message #989433] Thu, 06 December 2012 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

Take a look at this new and notable features page about the dpi and fit to container settings for images.

New and Notable - Images

As for the fixed layout vs auto layout, are you wanting to know the difference in general or just the effect on images?

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Image DPI [message #989674 is a reply to message #989568] Fri, 07 December 2012 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

thanks for the link. I have seen it before. Unfortunatelly it doesn't contain any useful information for me.

Quote:
Image DPI can now be set using an advanced property on the report design and the engine will use this setting when rendering.
If the report design dpi setting is set to 0, the engine will interrogate the image to retrieve the dpi.

When the engine does use it? If I set the image size in mm, then DPI doesn't matter. So when it does?

Quote:
Additionally images now have a fit to container property that will allow them to be scaled
based on the size of a container report item instead of being clipped.

This is also something I don't understand. What is the container? Is it the report element "Image" itself
or the parent containing that report element?

When I put an image (400x400) into a grid and set size of that grid to 100x100 px,
then in the report the image has still height 400 px, its width is clipped to 100 px. Why doesn't its height also clipped to 100 px?

Re: Image DPI [message #989813 is a reply to message #989674] Sat, 08 December 2012 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

What is your output and BIRT version? The fit to container, which means grid or table cell, like you're using, seems to only work as expected in PDF. The rest of the time, it just seems to cut the image off.

Michael

Re: Image DPI [message #990252 is a reply to message #989813] Tue, 11 December 2012 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using Birt 3.7.2 and my output is PDF.

I'm really confused.

I have a table in my report. The table contains a grid and that grid contains just a label "hello".
I set height of that grid to 150mm and switch report layout to fixed.
But the grid in report is just as high as the label, why??
Re: Image DPI [message #990326 is a reply to message #990252] Tue, 11 December 2012 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Set the height of the grid row to 150mm, instead of the entire grid. That should do what you're wanting.

Michael

Re: Image DPI [message #990407 is a reply to message #990326] Wed, 12 December 2012 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes! You are right.

This leads me to last two questions:

1) Why is height of the grid ignored?
1) If I set row height to 150 mm, it's 150 mm height regardless of what type of layout is set.
What is the difference between auto and fixed layout then?
Re: Image DPI [message #990478 is a reply to message #990407] Wed, 12 December 2012 16:15 Go to previous message

For the first question, I'm not sure why this is ignored. You can log a bug in the bugzilla for this. For the second question, the difference between auto and fixed has to do with page size constraints. Fixed deals with the fixed page size you defined for your masterpage, auto does not.

Michael

Previous Topic:Controlling user access to web reports
Next Topic:Problem with Maximo getHtmlString
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:46:48 GMT 2024