Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Compilation of the eclipse run-time kernel or vanilla eclipse
Compilation of the eclipse run-time kernel or vanilla eclipse [message #989154] Tue, 04 December 2012 21:54 Go to next message
Sungmin Cho is currently offline Sungmin ChoFriend
I'm trying to build eclipse from scratch. I could download eclipse e4 from CVS, which has 426 projects. After the automatic build, I got tens of broken project build. I tried to fix some of them, but most of them are still broken including swt and jface.

Googling about eclipse architecture, I found that Wikipedia points out that
`With the exception of a small run-time kernel, everything in Eclipse is a plug-in.`

What projects in CVS are the run-time kernel? How many projects do I need to build `successfully` to get vanilla eclipse that is not a plugin but core eclipse? I mean what is the project that after the build I can execute `eclipse.exe` even though it has no plugin?

Any hints for building them would also be great.
Re: Compilation of the eclipse run-time kernel or vanilla eclipse [message #989165 is a reply to message #989154] Tue, 04 December 2012 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Sungmin Cho wrote on Tue, 04 December 2012 22:54
I'm trying to build eclipse from scratch. I could download eclipse e4 from CVS, which has 426 projects.

CVS is outdated. Eclipse projects now live in git at http://git.eclipse.org/c/

Quote:

After the automatic build, I got tens of broken project build.

You mean when building inside the IDE? Or are you building from the command line?

Quote:
I tried to fix some of them, but most of them are still broken including swt and jface.

SWT sure is among the trickier projects, since it needs fragments with native code for each platfrom.

Quote:

Googling about eclipse architecture, I found that Wikipedia points out that
`With the exception of a small run-time kernel, everything in Eclipse is a plug-in.`

What projects in CVS are the run-time kernel? How many projects do I need to build `successfully` to get vanilla eclipse that is not a plugin but core eclipse? I mean what is the project that after the build I can execute `eclipse.exe` even though it has no plugin?

For the bare minimum have a look at http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/documents/quickstart-framework.php

Note, that eclipse.exe is just a launcher, which is not necessarily needed.
Also note, that the Equinox bundle is not "Eclipse" its just an OSGi runtime, but it seems you are looking for that, exactly.

HTH,
Stephan

Re: Compilation of the eclipse run-time kernel or vanilla eclipse [message #989167 is a reply to message #989165] Tue, 04 December 2012 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
ah, and for launching the Equinox console you may want to read https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=371101 ;-/
Re: Compilation of the eclipse run-time kernel or vanilla eclipse [message #1053644 is a reply to message #989154] Tue, 07 May 2013 06:38 Go to previous message
jack coleman is currently offline jack colemanFriend
You might try downloading from the Eclipse Platform project. I had the same question/objective and after installing Eclipse Platform I get a very generic workbench with very few menu items / buttons.

You could probably trim more plug-ins out of the Platform folders, but some stuff will probably stop working. It would be a interesting experiment. . .
Previous Topic:Wanted: Eclipse Plugin Developer
Next Topic:Eclipse code completion for file names?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:22:21 GMT 2024