Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Loop through list values and generate dynamic tables and charts(Loop through list values and generate dynamic tables and charts)
Loop through list values and generate dynamic tables and charts [message #988898] Mon, 03 December 2012 15:34 Go to next message
Atanu Dey is currently offline Atanu DeyFriend
Hi,

I'm a newbie to Birt Reporting. I have generated few basic reports till date. But this time I was trying to generate a dynamic table and charts depending on a multiselect list box values.

Suppose,

1. My list of input "keyword" consists of "[virus, torrent, terrorism]"
2. I have a basic design ready with a table and a chart, dataset, parameters.
3. I need to append them to the same page as a new set the of same basic table and chart with different query depending on keyword values.

I have idea that I can add scripts and manipulate things like -

1. Loop through list values.
2. I can modify query.

But no idea how to replicate table and chart data and dynamically create and add data set to them.

I've attached a file, which will help you to understand my requirement. Please somebody help me ...

Thanks in advance
  • Attachment: explain.doc
    (Size: 82.02KB, Downloaded 347 times)
Re: Loop through list values and generate dynamic tables and charts [message #988917 is a reply to message #988898] Mon, 03 December 2012 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric W is currently offline Eric WFriend
I dont know if this will help but for just about every report item in birt there is a visibility property. There is a scripting option for it, just return true or false. You can script the visibility to evaluate report paramters, dataset values etc...

When I initialy build a report I just create everything then go back and set visibility on conditional items.

I have been doing reports in birt for sometime now and I still try to stay away from deep scripting like you are talking about. Only for the people who have to maintain the reports after me. They find it easier to maintain the basic upfront functionality in instead of heavy scripted reports.

Hope this helps a little

[Updated on: Mon, 03 December 2012 19:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Loop through list values and generate dynamic tables and charts [message #988968 is a reply to message #988917] Tue, 04 December 2012 06:11 Go to previous message
Atanu Dey is currently offline Atanu DeyFriend
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your quick reply. Actually you are right. I have used that visibility thing in my previous reports. My concern is, If the list I mentioned grows big day by day I have to add designs to my .rptdesign file manually for each keyword, hide them and if selected show them.

As I don't know much about Birt, so I thought doing in that way is a non-standard way. So I was trying to find out a smarter way.

Not sure if it is at all possible though Wink

Thanks again.
Previous Topic:pdf font missing (non english font)on linux
Next Topic:Merge Two Different Grids
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:13:34 GMT 2024