Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Two different views of same (Epic) file(Two different views of same (Epic) file)
Two different views of same (Epic) file [message #988717] Sat, 01 December 2012 21:52 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I'm working on a perl file that is very big. I hope opened it up in two windows. In one window I'm trying to read near the bottom of the file (on line 2215) while I update dependency code at line 336.

While the file is opened in two different editors in two different Eclipse windows, when I start typing in line 336, my other edit immediately goes to that location.

Is there some control or configuration I can set that will force the two editing windows to stay at different line points?

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

I'm using Version: Juno Service Release 1, Build id:20121004-1855. The Epic Editor Plug-in is version 0.6.45.

(Edit: my OS is Ubuntu 12.10)

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

[Updated on: Sat, 01 December 2012 21:58] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Two different views of same (Epic) file [message #999589 is a reply to message #988717] Sat, 12 January 2013 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
In the past few months I have been doing a lot of exploring, trying to figure out how to resolve this issue. I noticed a few post where others having the same issue were told to try performing a fresh install of eclipse.

By the way, this is something that I have noticed for a long time. I have done fresh Ubuntu Upgrades with totally fresh Eclipse installations. The problem creeps in and happens some times. Some times every once in a while and some times all the time like now.

Possibly in a few months it might happen only some time.

I have found a work around, but it's not the best. I make make a new linked file with a different name using the, "File > New > Advance > Link" option. I'll name the file a deviation of the original name (i.e. myfile.pl and myfile_sw.pl). This is the only way I can consistently see different locations of the same file at the same time while working.

This workaround has it's quirts, but it's something that others looking for this functionality can use while the built in feature is broken.

If someone has any other suggestion, I'd gladly try them and give feedback if they work.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames
Re: Two different views of same (Epic) file [message #1002828 is a reply to message #999589] Sat, 19 January 2013 15:07 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Please be advised that after continued work, and in an effort to resolve the many quirks I was having with the workaround, I believe I have discovered a method of being able to work with multiviews of a file (edit at one position while being able to review other parts of the file).

I found and option called "Linked Resources". It appears to be enabled by default. I removed the check mark and now I'm able to perform the multiviews at different locations of a file without the quirks.

You can find this option by clicking:

Window > Preferences > General > Workspace > Linked Resources.

If this feature stops working I'll post an update. Also if I find that this configuration breaks something useful I'll update on this point also.

Enjoy!

Note: I did a lot of resource when trying to resolve this issue. I found that many people were looking for the same thing.

Since it's not posted anywhere else, at least others trying to find this relief has this thread as a resource.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames
Previous Topic:Problem with the color themes
Next Topic:android layout
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:50:00 GMT 2024