Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BPMN 2.0 Modeler » Future of Project
Future of Project [message #988431] Thu, 29 November 2012 21:22 Go to next message
Herman Post is currently offline Herman PostFriend
Hi. I think this is a great project but am concerned that development seems to have slowed down and projected milestones have not been met. Can someone please comment on the commitment (RedHat?) to moving this project to a viable 1.0 release? And if that commitment is there, will there be a goal to maintain compatibility with the jBPM Designer? I personally think it is essential to have solid eclipse-based jBPM tools for the project to be efficient and viable.

Thanks much,

Herman Post
Re: Future of Project [message #988570 is a reply to message #988431] Fri, 30 November 2012 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Brodt is currently offline Robert BrodtFriend

Hi Herman,

Thanks for your interest. Despite the appearance that development has slowed down, be assured that we are working feverishly to get to a stable release soon. There are still quite a few bugzillas open and we are trying to close as many of these as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, I am currently the only developer working on this project and I do have other commitments outside of this work.

The biggest issue right now is that this editor MUST be compliant with the full BPMN 2.0 spec first which, as you know, is a monster. Once that has been achieved I can work towards "dumbing it down" for jBPM (a BPMN 2.0 subset) and even this work is not trivial because the generic editor has to be designed to allow for this kind of customization.

Please be patient, I'm pedaling as fast as I can Wink

Cheers!
Bob
Re: Future of Project [message #988573 is a reply to message #988431] Fri, 30 November 2012 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

Herman Post wrote on Thu, 29 November 2012 16:22
I personally think it is essential to have solid eclipse-based jBPM tools for the project to be efficient and viable.

Hi Herman,

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the project, but in today's Open Source, sitting on the sidelines and cheering on the team is not enough. I'm sure they will welcome any of your contributions to help ensure the project is viable.

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Re: Future of Project [message #988652 is a reply to message #988570] Fri, 30 November 2012 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your response, and I'm glad to hear of your ongoing commitment. We'll stay tuned...

Thanks,

Herm
Re: Future of Project [message #988653 is a reply to message #988573] Fri, 30 November 2012 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Denis. We're very aware of the open source ecosystem, and in fact are trying to convince others in our organization of the value of direct involvement. In the meantime, by way of modest justification, I can say that some of the open source based applications we do develop will be shared with the community and thus expand the ecosystem.

Regards,

Herm
Re: Future of Project [message #988658 is a reply to message #988573] Fri, 30 November 2012 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Herman,

As a follow-on to Denis' post: if you are interested in contributing to this, or other eclipse projects, there are lots of resources available on the interweb for example here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources

To paraphrase Milton: "they also serve who only stand and wait." but not as much as those who are willing to lend a hand Wink

Cheers!
Bob
Re: Future of Project [message #988660 is a reply to message #988658] Fri, 30 November 2012 22:22 Go to previous message

Hey Herm,

That sounds like a familiar tune to me. I once worked for a company whose management was very much focused on the bottom line and could not understand how giving away software was the foundation of a sound business plan Smile

Hope you have better luck!

Bob
Previous Topic:jBPM Business Rule Task issue
Next Topic:How to change event and gateway names?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:24:34 GMT 2024