Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » BIRT Runtime on Solaris Sparc(Slow Performance)
BIRT Runtime on Solaris Sparc [message #988346] Thu, 29 November 2012 13:47 Go to next message
Eric W is currently offline Eric WFriend
Hello,

I am running the birt runtime 3_7_0 on a solaris sparc server and I get really slow performance.

Steps to repeat this. I unzip birt-runtime-3_7_0, cd to ReportEngine folder and run

./genReport.sh -f PDF -o outputfile.pdf -F samples/hello_world.rptdesign

First and foremost I always get a
SEVERE: file: /home/birt/birt-runtime-3_7_0/ReportEngine not exists!

but the report always runs.

This hello_world.rptdesign takes 35-40 seconds to generate everytime. This slowness only occurs on Solaris Sparc. I move this same runtime folder and run the genReport.bat on a windows box or a solaris box(non sparc) and it works in 3->4 seconds.

A chart of my speeds and setup

30-40 sec hello_world report setup
Solaris 10 on a sparc cpu only. testing using java -versions 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7

3-4 sec hello_world report generations
Windows 7, Solaris 11 (i586,x64) java -versions 1.5 and 1.7

I dont know if I am missing something, but I ran this on my production server as well and its still 30-40 seconds to generate the hello world. My production server is a solaris sparc server, but it is a beast. So I dunno if I am supposed to configure something on a sparc server?

Any help or tips would be greatly appriciated.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 November 2012 17:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: BIRT Runtime on Solaris Sparc [message #988440 is a reply to message #988346] Thu, 29 November 2012 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

Any chance you could try 3.7.2? Also are you using the pojo runtime package(default) or the OSGi runtime?

Jason
Re: BIRT Runtime on Solaris Sparc [message #988582 is a reply to message #988440] Fri, 30 November 2012 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will try birt 3_7_2 shortly. There is server patching going on where i am at so I need to wait to test

However, I would like to state something real quick. I did this test because i have a report that in the web viewer takes about 10 sec to generate, this is fine as its a huge report. However, when I deploy it to any webserver on a solaris sparc server it takes 3min. I have tried OC4J with java 1.5, weblogic with java 1.6 and 1.7. The only difference in speed comes from solaris sparc vs anything else.

With this in mind I wanted to eliminate as much as possible so I just unzip the 3_7_0 runtime then run the hello_world.rptdesign from the command line. I think this is a fair test and should generate close to the same on any machine. The numbers I posted above are repeatable and lead me to blieve there is an underlying problem with solaris sparc.

I see your comment about the OSGi framework and I dont understand what you are asking. I am just unzipping the birt_runtime_3_7_0 download, setting BIRT_HOME then running the genReport.sh or .bat. I think my numbers show a problem just from running this test as they are repeatable.

If you think I should start the OSGi framework I will give it a try, is there a way to do this command line? I would like to run and test from the command line as this will eliminate any chance I have a bad OC4J or weblogic setup.
Re: BIRT Runtime on Solaris Sparc [message #988906 is a reply to message #988582] Mon, 03 December 2012 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I downloaded birt-runtime-3_7_2 and birt-runtime-4_2_1, I unziped and set BIRT_HOME for each accordingly. It still takes 30+ seconds just to run the hello_world.rptdesign from commandline. I use the command I posted above. I find this troubling as this only takes so long on Solaris Sparc. I know it cant be the server as its very powerfull and the zone i am testing in has plenty of room to run.
Re: BIRT Runtime on Solaris Sparc [message #989088 is a reply to message #988906] Tue, 04 December 2012 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

Eric

Can you open a bugzilla entry for this?

Jason
Re: BIRT Runtime on Solaris Sparc [message #989140 is a reply to message #989088] Tue, 04 December 2012 19:03 Go to previous message
Bug submitted

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=395753

Also, I am opening a ticket with Oracle Support. I will update this post and the bugzilla entry as needed.

I am really hoping this is just a server tuning issue as I need these reports to run in a timely manner.
Previous Topic:BIRT + web application
Next Topic:How to SetUp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 20:00:01 GMT 2024