Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » How to create a very simple excel output?
How to create a very simple excel output? [message #987803] Wed, 28 November 2012 09:00 Go to next message
Paul Ramsden is currently offline Paul RamsdenFriend
I want to create a simple tabular report and export it as an Excel xls file. First attempts have shown the following problems:

- extra columns and rows are inserted around EVERY table cell (this seems to be caused by the cell padding. When set to zero the extra rows/columns disappeared)

- extra rows inserted when row width exceeds nominal page width (presumably to allow cell texts to wrap)

- extra sheets inserted when row count exceeds nominal page height

These are all clever solutions when a 'pretty' report is needed but is there a way to create an xls output when one table cell in the report corresponds to one table cell in the spreadsheet - no more and no less?

I know that there is a CSV emitter but I'm a bit wary of using CVS because of localization issues (decimal points/commas, cell separation characters etc)

Has anyone else had this problem?
Re: How to create a very simple excel output? [message #988244 is a reply to message #987803] Thu, 29 November 2012 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
birt user is currently offline birt userFriend
Support for export in XLS format is provided out of box. I assume when you say tabular report it means in HTML form (in your web app) and you want to export that in XLS by using BIRT toolbar, right?

For generating the table in HTML format are using the Table or List widget?

- extra rows inserted when row width exceeds nominal page width (presumably to allow cell texts to wrap)

If text wrapping is an issue then you can control that for your table by selecting Auto or No Wrapping under properties --> General settings

- extra sheets inserted when row count exceeds nominal page height

You can probably control this by setting the table Page Break Interval to 0, under properties --> Page break

Re: How to create a very simple excel output? [message #988252 is a reply to message #988244] Thu, 29 November 2012 06:23 Go to previous message
Paul Ramsden is currently offline Paul RamsdenFriend
@birt user

With 'tabular report' I really want to say that the report has no nested tables, grids, lists or anything fancy. There are just x columns of data on y rows. That's it!

We have tried using both Table and List with the same result.

I'll check out the other 2 suggestions you made. Thanks!
Previous Topic:BIRT Chart- creating my own chart plugin
Next Topic:Format Report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:35:52 GMT 2024