Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » Client-server architecture with possibility of multiple distinct servers
Client-server architecture with possibility of multiple distinct servers [message #987158] Fri, 23 November 2012 21:51 Go to next message
Olivier Labrosse is currently offline Olivier LabrosseFriend
Hi,

We're developing a client-server application and we want to use ECF to harness OSGi remote services. The services are defined declaratively and thus registered automatically without any code.

A problem we're anticipating is with the proper configuration of clients to communicate with one specific server instance out of many possible (and independent) ones.

From what I gather, RSA is what we need in order to filter through available service providers, but despite reading different articles on the subject, it is still unclear to me how this should be done. I would greatly appreciate your help clearing that up.

Should we let the "usual" (zeroconf, zookeeper, etc.) discovery occur and have a custom TopologyManager implementation do the filtering based on configurations (file or PreferenceStore)? I'll keep reading in hopes of figuring it out, but some insights would help immensely.

Thanks very much for you support.

-Olivier
Re: Client-server architecture with possibility of multiple distinct servers [message #987465 is a reply to message #987158] Mon, 26 November 2012 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should have specified that the anticipated problem isn't with the configuration process but rather the use of a PreferenceStore value to always connect to the same server on restart.

Am I right to think this involves some sort of service filtering process? If so, I can't see yet how this can be done, be it programmatically or declaratively (as we would like it).

Again, a little insight would be much appreciated. In the meantime I continue my research.

Thank you!

-Olivier
Re: Client-server architecture with possibility of multiple distinct servers [message #987532 is a reply to message #987465] Tue, 27 November 2012 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So far my research leads me to believe the only way this can be done is through RSA. Yet, at the beginning of section 122.5 of the OSGi R4 Enterprise specs, we can read the following:

Quote:
The Remote Service Admin service abstracts the core functionality of a distribution provider: exporting a service to an Endpoint and importing services from an Endpoint. However, in contrast with the distribution provider of the Remote Services specification, the Remote Service Admin service must be told explicitly what services to import and export.

Does this mean RSA cannot be used in conjunction with DS? (or renders DS futile)

I had found Bryan Hunt's blog to be of great value, but now I'm wondering if I have to scratch the whole declarative design.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track. Thanks again!

-Olivier
Re: Client-server architecture with possibility of multiple distinct servers [message #987745 is a reply to message #987532] Tue, 27 November 2012 21:22 Go to previous message
Trying an implementation using ConfigurationAdmin rather than RSA. Will post results once tested.
Previous Topic:Who use ECF
Next Topic:Problem with ContainerFactory.createContainer(java.lang.String) method
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:03:19 GMT 2024