Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Papyrus collaborative work: how to work properly with a split model(Papyrus collaborative work issues)
Papyrus collaborative work: how to work properly with a split model [message #986889] Thu, 22 November 2012 09:28 Go to next message
Vincent Desbois is currently offline Vincent DesboisFriend
Hi,

I have some basic question relative to collaborative work in Papyrus.
We are three people using Papyrus backbone (Incubation) 0.9.1.v201210051358 and trying to work collaboratively on a model.
Let's say that we created a model called overall_model containing three packages (package_1, package_2, package_3). The three packages have been "control enabled" and respective files are now visible in the project explorer (on top of the overall_model file).

Now what I would like to know how we are supposed to work from there. Commit and update / replace have resulted in asynchronized states that we can not understand. We are not sure whether this is due to bugs or unappropriate use of the software.

Let's say that I am owning package_1 and want to update it.
1) Are the following actions identical in Papyrus?
1a) I open the package_1 file from the project explorer, make my updates to package_1 in the model explorer, save my changes and commit my changes into Papyrus from the package_1 file
1b) I open the overall_model file from the project explorer, make my updates to package_1 in the model explorer, save my changes and commit my changes into Paryrus from the package_1 file

Are the alternative above wrong? Should we do something else instead?

We have noticed that the content of package_1 in the model explorer is often out of sync between the overall_model and the package_1 model files.

Somehow I would also expect to be able to view all the latest updates at the same time in our project like in other modeling tools. Have I got the wrong expectations?

We have looked at the "Eclipse MDT Papyrus Collaborative Work" tutorial but it does not bring any answer.

Br
/Vincent
Re: Papyrus collaborative work: how to work properly with a split model [message #986949 is a reply to message #986889] Thu, 22 November 2012 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Gheorghe is currently offline Vlad GheorgheFriend
Hi Vincent,

I am also curious about the existing features and recommended workflow for collaborative modeling.

However, I if you have a workflow that avoids model merge that would make life much easier.
One way to do it is to have a single owner for each controlled unit.
Only the owner can change that unit, and all others can only read it.

That would also constraint the dependencies between the model partitions stored in each controlled unit.

One other point is that the particular version control tool might favor a certain type of workflow.
What version control tool are you intending to use ?

Regards
Vlad
Re: Papyrus collaborative work: how to work properly with a split model [message #997259 is a reply to message #986889] Fri, 04 January 2013 19:03 Go to previous message
Zachary Seamon is currently offline Zachary SeamonFriend
Hi Vincent,

I am currently trying to set up something very similar to what you described. I am working on models with co-worker and we have a very un-streamlined method for collaboration... basically he has the master model, and I work on individual diagrams and export them to a flashdrive or shared drive location and he then imports them into the master model. It is pretty tedious, and the imports usually lose formatting and need reworked anyway.

We have been looking into better options for collaborative work. We have access to a Subversion server and I have been looking into using that with Papyrus to meet our needs. Would you mind going into more detail about your Eclipse setup? I would like to get to to the same point as you and help work on this problem.

- What are your current eclipse/papyrus versions?
- Are you using a server to share between computers? What kind and what additional plugins have you installed to get that working?

Best of luck,
Zach
Previous Topic:Very simple question about UML diagrams.
Next Topic:upper / lower boundary values for class attributes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:42:41 GMT 2024