Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Live Watch in Debugging?
Live Watch in Debugging? [message #986858] Thu, 22 November 2012 06:29 Go to next message
Michael Kriegel is currently offline Michael KriegelFriend
Dear Friends,

I'd like to know whether there is something like a live watch feature which I could use from within eclipse.

E.g. in IAR Debugger it is possible to have a watch window which I could use to watch expressions which are updated in a specifieable interval, e.g. 1sec.

Can I do sth. similar with the debugging features of eclipse?

My first idea was, to use a watchpoint (on which debugging would stop) and add a resume action "resume immediately. However, this resume action seems to never take place.

Second idea was, to place a breakpoint into a function, with a resume immediately action, which works, however, the expressions window does not display the last read values during running. Thats a pitty, cause if it would keep the last value, it could be possible to live watch the expressions in the window.

Does anybody see another way to achieve this behaviour?

Btw. I am running eclipse indigo SR2 on linux.

Thank you very much, Michael
Re: Live Watch in Debugging? [message #987116 is a reply to message #986858] Fri, 23 November 2012 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
FYI, a watch view is something that has been proposed, but no one has started working on it as far as I know:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/MultiCoreDebugWorkingGroup/PotentialFeatures#Watch_view
Re: Live Watch in Debugging? [message #1014699 is a reply to message #987116] Tue, 26 February 2013 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did not find any available plugin, so I am thinking about writing it on my own. However, I have never developed a plugin for eclipse, but it seems to be no magic.

Maybe it might not be the right place to ask this question here, if so, please point me the right direction Wink

So I need to somehow "modify" the variables and the expressions view. By playing around I found, that all I would need to do is, not to update the views content as long as the target is not suspendes. Together with an (already existing) "resume immediately"-action I can achieve a similar behaviour.

THE ISSUE: Both views are implemented in org.eclipse.debug.ui. How can I modify them such that I can reuse them? I tried to clone the code (probably a bad idea) and had many conflicts.

Can I develop another plugin and write a View class, which extends e.g. VariablesView and overrides the members I need to change? Or will this have negative influences (= which of the VariableVIew-Implementations will load, etc.?)

Thank you for your help!
Re: Live Watch in Debugging? [message #1063509 is a reply to message #1014699] Thu, 13 June 2013 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lorenzo Pini is currently offline Lorenzo PiniFriend
You're still working on this plugin?
Re: Live Watch in Debugging? [message #1063977 is a reply to message #1063509] Mon, 17 June 2013 05:54 Go to previous message
short Answer: no.

I do not have enough time for that. It turned out to be easier to build an external tool instead of trying to dig in the debugging code of eclipse. I hardly found information about how it works, nor anybody willing to help me getting started with that in eclipse. Finally the GDBServer from Segger does not even support asynchronous mode such that it is not possible to do what we intended to do (for an ARM Target) within eclipse.
Previous Topic:Dependencies are not taking effect when using the headerless build
Next Topic:C++11 support when using Intel Compiler?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:13:12 GMT 2024