Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Objectteams » "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update
"Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update [message #983393] Tue, 13 November 2012 22:33 Go to next message
Jackey J is currently offline Jackey JFriend
When checking for updates, it says :"Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" is not applicable to the current configuration and will not be installed.

Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core version 2.0.1.201109101025 Id: org.eclipse.objectteams.otdt.core.patch.feature.group

My environment:
Windows 7 Pro, Java 1.6.0_37
Eclipse Indigo Service Release 2 (Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers)
Build id: 20120216-1857

Anyone has idea on what it's talking about? And any solution to skip/fix that component?

Thanks in advance.
Re: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update [message #984380 is a reply to message #983393] Wed, 14 November 2012 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Sorry for the delay in answering.

I don't 100% understand your situation, so let me check back:

You have Indigo SR 2 installed and want to upgrade from there? To Juno?
(I'm not sure if updating from 3.7 to 4.2 using check for updates will work fine for you, many people tend to start from scratch at every major release).

You have a C/C++ IDE but apparently there's some Java plug-ins installed, too?
- did you select JDT for installation?
- did you select anything Object Teams for installation?

When you open "Window > About Eclipse SDK > Installation Details" do you see the Object Teams Patch feature? Which version? If that shows 2.0.1.201109101025 s.t. already broke earlier, because in Indigo SR2 our version is 2.0.2.201202051448.

Now, for suggestions how to proceed:
- if the Object Teams feature got installed by accident the above mentioned "Installation Details" dialog allows you to Uninstall any installed feature.
- if Object Teams installation was intended you should be able to upgrade from the corresponding repsitories of Indigo or Juno resp.

As soon as I better understand your situation, I'll be happy to explain some background.

cheers,
Stephan
Re: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update [message #990346 is a reply to message #984380] Wed, 12 December 2012 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Stephan,

Thanks for your reply.

Following your indications, I found that the "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" installed in my Indigo is version 2.0.2.201202051448 (by checking installation details), not 2.0.1.201109101025 .

Then I wonder why it shows the earlier 2.0.1.x version blocking my update when I click "Check for Updates" ?

I don't want to upgrade from Indigo to Juno, while just intend to update some existing plugins based on Indigo. My indigo has Java/PHP/C++ plugins mixed to develop different things.

I had a test: Firstly, uninstall "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core", and secondly run "Check for Updates", it shows me to install that patch again, without other choice. And then I have to installed it, and then "Check for Updates", it again tells me that original error, blocking me from updating any other plugins.

So now I have no idea how to work around this "Patch" plugin for updating other plugins.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Jackey
Re: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update [message #991205 is a reply to message #990346] Mon, 17 December 2012 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately, from what you describe I still don't understand what exactly is happening on your machine.

Quote:
...run "Check for Updates", it shows me to install that patch again, without other choice.

You mean, there was nothing else offered for update?
In that case, are you sure that any updates are indeed available?

If you perhaps know for which feature an update is available, you should try (after uninstalling the patch feature) to get the updates via Help > Install new software ... and directly select what you want updated.

HTH,
Stephan
Re: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update [message #997851 is a reply to message #991205] Tue, 08 January 2013 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks.

I don't know what specific updates available for my Eclipse, and just try to be up-to-date. It only indicates the operation cannot be completed due to "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue, not showing any other update available. The screenshot is attached. I also attached my installed plugins screenshot for reference.

Anyway, thank you very much for your patient reply.
Re: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update [message #997866 is a reply to message #997851] Tue, 08 January 2013 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, so p2 is proposing to "upgrade" the OT patch feature from 2.0.2 to 2.0.1???? What makes the tool think this is an update? I have no idea.

Two suggestions:

- (repeated from above): "if the Object Teams feature got installed by accident the above mentioned "Installation Details" dialog allows you to Uninstall any installed feature."

- (new): if you want to explore more about the current (broken) state, you should probably show me your list of software sites from where updates are fetched.

best,
Stephan
Re: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update [message #1011272 is a reply to message #983393] Tue, 19 February 2013 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Niklas Rosencrantz is currently offline Niklas RosencrantzFriend
I got this problem too when updating a regular ubuntu eclipse. On windows 7 I can update eclipse to Juno but on ubuntu 12 I get ""Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" is not applicable to the current configuration" when trying to update Eclipse from a default ubuntu install taken from the ubuntu repositories (Eclipse 3.7 that has helios for update site). I added indigo to update sites to update to indigo (though the Eclipse splash screen says Indigo and not Helios) but I get this error message about Object Teams Patch. I tried repos for helios, indigo and juno and uninstalling the Object Teams Patch and reinstalling both the patches and eclipse and running eclipse as root but I can't seem to update. It works to download a separate Eclipse Juno and run it on the computer, but that doesn't update Eclipse for all users, it must be linked to the executable and the icons have changed etc so I think best is that the ubuntu repos for Eclipse just get updated. Or can you help reolve it?

[Updated on: Tue, 19 February 2013 08:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update [message #1011496 is a reply to message #1011272] Tue, 19 February 2013 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All this is strange.

Usually I download and install Eclipse directly from Eclipse.org, and I don't see much advantage in using Ubuntu packages instead.

Still, running on Ubuntu 12.04 myself I just tried it that way.
First Eclipse couldn't find SWT binaries [1].
After fixing that and adding the indigo update site into Eclipse Indigo (looks indeed inconsistent), I could do several rounds of updates with no problem. I think the second update suggested to install the Object Teams patch, and it installed without a problem.

Wait, as I'm speaking, on trying the forth round or so of updating, I can see the problem.
At this point I have the following situation:

1. installed is Eclipse Java Development Tools 3.7.2.v20120120-1414-.....
  2. installed is Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core 2.0.1.201109101025
  3. proposed for update is Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core 2.0.2.201202051448
  4. error is: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" is not applicable to the current configuration and will not be installed.

Observations:

• (1) and (2) should not be compatible (although installing this worked OK).
  • (1) and (3) should be compatible
  • While displaying the error message, the Detail message is no longer shown, which normally reads:
    This feature is NOT a regular update of the JDT, but REPLACES the
    org.eclipse.jdt.core plugin by the corresponding version for Object Teams.
    This change makes the JDT Core capable to handle OT/J code.

Eclipse p2 has several known bugs that amount to the fact, that normally patch features cannot be installed into a shared install for which the user has no write permission. Partly I'm surprised to see it work in this situation at all.

I happen to know that Pascal Rapicault is right now re-writing part of p2 in order to improve the situation for shared installes (including better error messages, migration strategies etc.) - this will go into Eclipse 4.3 (Kepler).
I will be a while before these fixes show up in Ubuntu.

Finally I tried to install the full Object Teams Development Tooling. Again installing seemed to work alright, only when I wanted to start working in the Object Teams perspective did I find that neither this nor the Java perspective were available. I.e., something claimed that installation was successful, where in fact it had broken the install.

Advice:

• If you want to use Object Teams, please install from an original Eclipse package from Eclipse.org.
  • If Object Teams came to you only by accident, please excuse, simply uncheck this update when it is offered

• and in that case I still hope, you'll find some time to read about the coolness of Object Teams [2] and come back later Smile

cheers,
Stephan

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/swt-gtk/+bug/975560
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/OTJ_Primer
Re: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update [message #1060441 is a reply to message #1011496] Fri, 24 May 2013 16:11 Go to previous message
Carlo Rotti is currently offline Carlo RottiFriend
This is exactly what is happening to me right now, this topic was tremendously helpful - you should probably make it a sticky...

[Updated on: Tue, 25 June 2013 18:44]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:support for callin-interception of constructor-calls
Next Topic:cannot install OT on Helios
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:01:11 GMT 2024