Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » How to Speed up the 'Building Workspace' which work stopper.(About how to boost up the lag of 'Building Workspace')
icon4.gif  How to Speed up the 'Building Workspace' which work stopper. [message #977473] Fri, 09 November 2012 10:06 Go to next message
newandroid66@gmail.com newandroid66@gmail.com is currently offline newandroid66@gmail.com newandroid66@gmail.comFriend
Hello.

When using eclipse Juno(for atm) with android ADT to develop,
the 'Building Workspace' taking very long time.
Please please hsare the idea to boost up(or non-stop) the
'Building Workspace' process.

I'm running Eclipse on RAMdisk
- Eclipse workspace and each complile obj folder also placed in the RAM disk.
- 1 GB of Xms setting in eclipse ini.
- Plus, using one of top most fastest CPU in the world to compile.
- JVM also running on SSD.
nothing with system performance.
- And I wanna turn on that 'Automatic build option' as well.

So that
I'm asking you
how to make 'Building Workspace' non-stop. not blocked for a while.

Please give me the solution.
It would save many peoples time in the world.
Re: How to Speed up the 'Building Workspace' which work stopper. [message #978164 is a reply to message #977473] Fri, 09 November 2012 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
In order to recommend ways to speed up your build time we'd need to understand what exactly is the bottle neck on your system.
As you mention ADT it's easy for us to put the blame on them and claim that JDT is as fast as can be.

Can you give evidence that JDT is the bottle neck?

cheers,
Stephan
Re: How to Speed up the 'Building Workspace' which work stopper. [message #978458 is a reply to message #978164] Sat, 10 November 2012 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newandroid66@gmail.com newandroid66@gmail.com is currently offline newandroid66@gmail.com newandroid66@gmail.comFriend
Hi,

First, I'm glad to hear something professional approach. Thank you.

The point is that
I do not exactly know what the problem came from.
(as far as you know non of professional solution on the web)

Is there any test method
or logging method to verify the problem where origin?
Your comment would be helpful for me.

the attachment(blinded) is....the log when blocked situation.
Is that could be a one of clue?
  • Attachment: cap.png
    (Size: 25.27KB, Downloaded 259 times)
Re: How to Speed up the 'Building Workspace' which work stopper. [message #978986 is a reply to message #978458] Sat, 10 November 2012 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
The blinded picture of your *Android* console shows no hint at JDT being the culprit.
For more detailed information on what's consuming time you may want to follow the advice at http://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock even if it's not a deadlock.

Note that the ADT is not developed at Eclipse.org but at google.

best,
Stephan
Re: How to Speed up the 'Building Workspace' which work stopper. [message #981569 is a reply to message #978986] Mon, 12 November 2012 14:22 Go to previous message
Thomas   is currently offline Thomas Friend
It is almost definite that the speed problem is on ADT's end. I am currently developing an Android application as well, and the best ways I found to speed up the build/deploy process are:

1. Minimize assets. Not only do assets increase the time it takes to build the APK due to taking time to copy in, there is currently a bug in the building code of ADT that results in all assets being copied into the APK twice. This not only increases the time that it takes to build the APK, but also increases the time it takes to deploy.
  2. Update to the preview version of the ADT. In the non-preview version of the ADT, it currently has to re-dex any jars that you have included in your project, which takes quite a bit of time.

You can find the instructions on how to install the preview version of ADT at tools [dot] android [dot] com [slash] preview-channel

(Sorry I didn't post the actual link...I don't have enough posts to post external links.)
Previous Topic:Multicore Parallel processing in BasicSearchEngine.findMatches‏
Next Topic:Extend class with same name and package
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 10:02:24 GMT 2024