Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » two instances of file opened in editor(two instances of the same file are regularly opened in the editor)
two instances of file opened in editor [message #976521] Thu, 08 November 2012 16:47 Go to next message
Linus Kamb is currently offline Linus KambFriend
Using eclipse

Version: Indigo Service Release 2
Build id: 20120216-1857

on Mac OSX 10.7.5

with viPlugin 2.10.0

for Java development

I regularly get 2 copies of the same file opened in the editor window in separate tabs. I have not been able to identify all cases (if there are multiple) when the second window is opened, but I have just identified one specific repeatable case: when I run debug on an open file, it opens a second instance of that file. However, it is not consistent across files. That is to say, for some files, if I run debug on that file, it opens another instance, and for some, it does not. The duplicate copies of the open file are kept in sync.

This of course is not the end of the world, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this, and if there is any explanation or fix.

thanks,
Linus
Re: two instances of file opened in editor [message #976712 is a reply to message #976521] Thu, 08 November 2012 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi,

That often happens when the actual .class file is located in several
places in your IDE. What happens is that you may have the .java/.class
in a project in your workspace, but it may also be in a jar that you
have in your classpath or in the Debug launch's classpath. So the
debugger uses the one out of the launch classpath. But when you open it
explicitly you use the one out of your project.

Rich
Re: two instances of file opened in editor [message #976972 is a reply to message #976712] Fri, 09 November 2012 00:41 Go to previous message
Linus Kamb is currently offline Linus KambFriend
thanks for response. I will investigate and see if I can find out the two locations. Normally, the .java resides under src, and the .class reside in this case under WEB-INF/classes. There is the built .war file, but that's not included on any classpath (as far as I know.) I'll look around. Thanks!
Previous Topic:Menu in multipage editor
Next Topic:Editor extensions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:42:28 GMT 2024