Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Any way to launch a three-way merge with EGit?
Any way to launch a three-way merge with EGit? [message #964537] Tue, 30 October 2012 15:55 Go to next message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Hi,

Try as I might, I have not found any way to launch a three-way comparison with EGit. The synchronize view seems to do it, but It seems to me that the "ancestor" of this comparison is always the "remote" side, which means that "synchronize workspace" will never detect any conflicts, even if there are some.

right-click > compare with > branch, tag... also does a two way comparison : left being the local version, right the other branch's... but no common ancestor is taken into account, thus no conflict detection there either.

Is there any reason for this choice? Is this something that is meant to evolve later on? Or is there something I've missed Smile?

Laurent Goubet
Obeo
Re: Any way to launch a three-way merge with EGit? [message #968097 is a reply to message #964537] Fri, 02 November 2012 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
Hi Laurent,

I think you are right: There seems to be a bug in the synchronize view and a missing feature for the other compare views. Do you want to open bugs for that? I haven't found any.

It should be quite straightforward using JGit to determine the common ancestor of two commits and to use it in the Eclipse compare view.

Cheers,
Stefan
Re: Any way to launch a three-way merge with EGit? [message #968487 is a reply to message #968097] Fri, 02 November 2012 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fix proposed for usage of three-way compare: https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/8487/
Re: Any way to launch a three-way merge with EGit? [message #984008 is a reply to message #968487] Wed, 14 November 2012 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/8487/ is merged now and will come with 2.2 (http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/New_and_Noteworthy/2.2#Ancestor_pane_in_compare_editors_.28three-way_mode.29).

When comparing a file against another commit or branch, the content of the common ancestor can now be shown using the Show Ancestor Pane button in the compare editor. This will show a third text field showing the content of the ancestor.
Re: Any way to launch a three-way merge with EGit? [message #986892 is a reply to message #984008] Thu, 22 November 2012 09:46 Go to previous message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the follow-up, and sorry for my lack of reaction : I had started investigating about a number of things and forgot to check up on this thread :s. Thanks for taking the time to answer regardless Smile.

I had also raised bug 393294 during my investigations regarding the three way comparisons, as the compare panes are not currently reporting the accurate revision info.

I'll try and test the three-way features of 2.2 Smile.

Laurent Goubet
Obeo
Previous Topic:Force using JSch instead of TortoisePlink on Windows ?
Next Topic:Pull and MERGE_RESOLVED Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:55:23 GMT 2024