Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Xtext as Plug-In Editor
Xtext as Plug-In Editor [message #957014] Thu, 25 October 2012 00:20
Frank Schrank is currently offline Frank SchrankFriend
Dear Eclipse and Xtext community,

I'm planning on integrating an Editor for my own (somehow SQL-like) language as a Plug-In into an Eclipse based application.
Having a well-defined EBNF-grammar for this language, Xtext gives me a lot of functionality out-of-the-box (Parser, Syntax highlighting, Auto-completion, ...). So I'd be happy to use it Smile

Though issues and questions arise:

1. Is it generally a good idea, to use Xtext simply to get a nice Editor for your language or is it too overweight for that? I mostly would use the Editor as a console for SQL-like statements (I'd like to extract the editors content for usage in some of my views)
  2. How can I write my own XtextEditor without loosing it's functionality?
    The class used by the plugin.xml extension leaves me clueless:
    com.sap.ais.workbench.ui.WipeExecutableExtensionFactory:org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.XtextEditor
    (I'm familiar with building upon the org.eclipse.ui.editors.text.TextEditor and apparently Xtext builds it's own XtextEditor directly on top of that. So adding Actions and my own SourceViewerConfig should be possible in the same way it is with usual plug-in editors, I guess)
  3. I'm building against a Target-platform based on Eclipse 3.8, created for the application the Editor should be designed for. This seems to rise some errors with the org.apache.log4j (as seen in attached target-platform-errors.log)
    In which way does Xtext use org.apache.log4j the affected classes?

I would be glad for some input from the more experienced community! Are there comparable projects (haven't found someone trying to modify the editor)...?

Thank you and I already humbly appreciate your effort on this great API.
Best regards,
Frank

[Updated on: Thu, 25 October 2012 18:43]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:JvmGenericType does not contain @Property operations
Next Topic:Keyword as ID (context sensitive)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:17:13 GMT 2024