Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Adjust whitespace character opacity
Adjust whitespace character opacity [message #955470] Tue, 23 October 2012 20:37 Go to next message
Ben Johnson is currently offline Ben JohnsonFriend
I just upgraded to Eclipse Indigo SR2 and am dismayed to find that whitespace character opacity can no longer be adjusted by clicking on the words "Whitespace characters" within the Preferences -> General -> Editors -> Text Editors pane.

Was this feature removed? Or was it always part of Zend's Eclipse + PDT distribution? (I was using Zend's distribution, but replaced it with eclipse.org's, because Zend's is out-of-date.)

Thanks for any help here.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 October 2012 20:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Adjust whitespace character opacity [message #955527 is a reply to message #955470] Tue, 23 October 2012 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Can you attach a screenshot of it?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Adjust whitespace character opacity [message #956401 is a reply to message #955527] Wed, 24 October 2012 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure, here you are!
Re: Adjust whitespace character opacity [message #956402 is a reply to message #956401] Wed, 24 October 2012 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, here's a screenshot of the outdated Zend PDT distribution that shows the functionality that now seems to be lacking.

Thanks for your willingness to look into this, Nitin!
Re: Adjust whitespace character opacity [message #956654 is a reply to message #956402] Wed, 24 October 2012 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Is there a "configure visibility" link that's clickable instead in Indigo?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Adjust whitespace character opacity [message #956715 is a reply to message #956654] Wed, 24 October 2012 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops! It looks like I have this backwards. I'll attempt to clarify.

I was using the latest version of Zend Eclipse PDT but found one particular bug intolerable ( https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=365526 ). I assumed that the latest build of Zend Eclipse PDT would use the latest build of Eclipse, but that turned out to be a poor assumption. The "About" dialog in Zend Eclipse PDT is completely useless (it doesn't specify the version of Eclipse on which it is based), but the splash screen does say Helios.

Now, it was the Zend Eclipse PDT, built on Helios, that offered this handy whitespace character opacity setting.

When I replaced Zend Eclipse PDT with Eclipse Helios SR2, that's when the functionality disappeared.

After reading your most recent reply, it occurred to me that I must have been using Helios and not Indigo. Sure enough... my mistake!

To make a long story short, I installed the very latest build (Eclipse Juno SR1), straight from eclipse.org, and now I do see the hyperlink and it looks exactly as you describe: Show whitespace characters (configure visibility) <- the parenthesized bit is a hyperlink.

At this point, I'm happy. Smile

As a related aside, I tried to use my old Helios workspace with Juno (I deleted the .metadata directory first), but none of my PHP projects are there. I did install PDT and restart Eclipse, but no change. Is this behavior to be expected? Can workspaces not be carried-over across more than one major revision, or similar? I noticed also that my Working Sets are missing.

Thanks again!
Re: Adjust whitespace character opacity [message #956725 is a reply to message #956715] Wed, 24 October 2012 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, apparently, deleting the .metadata directory, within the workspace directory, was a bad idea.

I read that doing so is necessary (I'm unable to provide a link to the third-party document, as I have fewer than 25 forum posts), but this deletion caused the missing projects and Working Sets.

Thankfully, I kept a backup of the workspace, and restoring it, with the .metadata directory intact, solved the problem.

I'm all set, then!
Re: Adjust whitespace character opacity [message #956910 is a reply to message #956725] Wed, 24 October 2012 22:21 Go to previous message

Anyone who recommended removing the entire .metadata directory needs a stern talking-to and correction.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Previous Topic:Error trying to use PDT in Eclipse RCP application
Next Topic:Zend Debugger Eclipse Startup Error: eclipse.php.debug.core was unable to load class debug.core.mode
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:02:33 GMT 2024