Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 Tools » So Utterly Disappointed(Eclipse Frustration)
So Utterly Disappointed [message #955376] Tue, 23 October 2012 18:56 Go to next message
Alex Kerezy is currently offline Alex KerezyFriend
Hi,
I can't explain how amazingly worthless the Eclipse platforms seems to me. The help file says "Eclipse is a platform that has been designed from the ground up for building integrated web and application development tooling. By design, the platform does not provide a great deal of end user functionality by itself. "

This is not at all true -- it's a Java focused text editor. It's chosen the language ahead of time. Web and application development? Oh please....

"At the core of Eclipse is an architecture for dynamic discovery, loading, and running of plug-ins."

Not at all -- Discovery is PAINFUL. Not all versions of eclipse have a way to explore the various plugins. Very little information is available about the plugins. The web site is a mess, 20% of the links are bad. There is no real comparison of plugin details (which means more than 3 or 4 items). Just trying to understand the various versions of Eclipse take a Ph.D.

"Out of the box - or off the web - the basic platform is an integrated development environment (IDE) for anything (and nothing in particular). "

IDE - somebody's smoking something.... The modeling tools natively connect to nothing. Integrated? Itegrated to what? Integrated means no matter how or with what plug-in I view or consider something - it's metadata or inherent data is represented the same. Whether I look at something in a piece of code, in a picture, in action, anyway I consider it - it's the same, and it NEVER has to be redocumented. Real integration means this - plugins aren't separate projects they just another tool, another way to look at my existing projects. Integration means "works together" period. Integration does not mean the user has to MAKE IT WORK TOGETHER. That's not integration - that's the same garbage the thousands of disparate tools over the decades of software engineering have created. That's exactly what you get in Eclipse. The fact that different plugins require you to start a new project - PROVES the platform's ignorance of what integration is. Why in the world would a new plugin mandate you start a new project?

It is an out right LIE to call Eclipse an IDE. There is NO native, inherent, integration in this platform. Only after a user spends hours bloodying their face against their PC might they get a single artifact represented the same way in different plugins.

Eclipse is living proof so called expert software engineers don't get it. It's a documentary on why Apple is a success (and I'm not a big Apple fan) - becuase they know people want to spend time "doing" and not "figuring out" how to do. And considering how long it's been around, it's also a pretty lame text editor, which is about all it's worth.

You get what you pay for.

Furiously Frustrated in Frankfort!!
Re: So Utterly Disappointed [message #1000381 is a reply to message #955376] Mon, 14 January 2013 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cong Chen is currently offline Cong ChenFriend
relax, this is the world
Re: So Utterly Disappointed [message #1017862 is a reply to message #1000381] Tue, 12 March 2013 16:49 Go to previous message
Luis Fernando Robledano-Esteban is currently offline Luis Fernando Robledano-EstebanFriend
Alex, so much AGREE!!
I must say that the IDE for Java is cool.
Apart from that, try to do something professionally... for example try to design software with UML and seamlessly integrate coding... well actually just try to do some UML diagramming.
A whole universe of metamodels (EMF, ECore, UML2...) which at the end don't work and not even the want-to-be commercial tools can keep up with the mess of plug-ins dependencies.

IMO the problem is that everything is bottom-up. Instead of looking at the goal of the software, it looks at the code-line and putting many together it expects to have integrated thing.
You have to learn a thousand technologies, ways of doing things, waste many hours (days, months...) to end up realizing that you cannot do what you want to do. The learning curve is a joke, and the maintenance of software (for the plugin's dependencies) is crazy.

ArkosX

[Updated on: Tue, 12 March 2013 16:50]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Generating a UML-Component: How to add a requiered/provided Interface to a Port ?
Next Topic:Question about instance specification of Connector in Component diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:25:59 GMT 2024