Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » RCP Validation Error Window not found(on validation error a window is opened which cannout be found by Jubula)
RCP Validation Error Window not found [message #954927] Tue, 23 October 2012 11:10 Go to next message
Juliane Gambke is currently offline Juliane GambkeFriend
Hi all!

I'm having some weird trouble with an rcp error window. On changing a combo box value a business validation rule kicks in opening an error window displaying a message. This window can be closed by clicking the "ok"-button.

I've implemented a test case containing these steps:
1. change the combo box value
2. wait for the error window
3. click the error windows ok-button
4. wait for the window to close
5. change the combo box value back to a correct value

However during test execution the test case gets stuck in step 1. The combo box value is changed and the application is already displaying the error window while Jubula is stuck on step 1, claiming it is currently testing step 1 (changing combo box value). The test execution is never continued.

As I couldn't find a solution for this behaviour I recorded the test case hoping a recorded test case would work. However on executing the recorded test case I get the same results: Jubula is stuck on step 1 and never continues.

Is there a known problem with window appearing too fast? I get the feeling that the application is displaying the error window even before Jubula has finished changing the combo box value. Maybe this causes Jubula to lose focus on the combo box so that it never realizes step 1 has completed and gets stuck? But as I have no idea about the inner workings of Jubula I'm probably totally off here.

Any hints, ideas and workarounds are very much appreciated - I'm lost.

Thanks a lot
Juliane
Re: RCP Validation Error Window not found [message #956099 is a reply to message #954927] Wed, 24 October 2012 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi there,

It does indeed sound like there is some kind of deadlock - like we are trying to check something in the UI thread when the error dialog is already there. If you can provide information on what toolkit (Swing, RCP ...) you are using, as well as version, platform etc, then that might help. It would also be really useful if you could provide a snippet or even a small example of the application that demonstrates the problem, then we could see what is going on.

In the meantime, I have a possible suggestion for a workaround -
- Put the focus on the combo box (clicking, tabbing to it..)
- Use the "key combination" or "external key combination" to select the item you want to select based on its first letter
- Then wait for the window.

HTH,
Alex
Re: RCP Validation Error Window not found [message #957395 is a reply to message #956099] Thu, 25 October 2012 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Juliane Gambke is currently offline Juliane GambkeFriend
Hi Alex!

Thanks for the quick reply.The suggested workaround works like a charm, so that helped a lot.

Unfortunately I have no acces to the applications source code so I can't provide a snippet. It is an rcp application operating on Windows 7. All the eclipse related jars in its plugin folder have version numbers 3.5 and 3.6. I hope that gives you some information.

The applications behaviour is such that the validation error window appears before the combo box is even closed. So the error window is shown and the combo box is still open. Sorry I cant give you any further information.

Thanks for you help!
Juliane

PS:I really like working with Jubula. It's concept is convincing and handling it is quite easy and straightforward once you got its gist.The quick and helpful replies in this forum make it all the more usable. So thanks Alex and Bredex for the cool tool and the really helpful support. Awesome!
Re: RCP Validation Error Window not found [message #958785 is a reply to message #957395] Fri, 26 October 2012 08:00 Go to previous message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi Juliane,

I'm glad that helped Smile. The information you gave about the order (that the window appears before the combo box is closed) confirms the suspicion of a deadlock - one that results from the behaviour of the application. I'm relatively sure that our actions expect the combo box to be closed / closeable at the end of the action.

Best regards,
Alex
Previous Topic:No project with name and version in database - dburl
Next Topic:Jubula 1.3.0 fails to start
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:12:51 GMT 2024