Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Insufficient access privileges to apply this update(Problem updating eclipse Juno (Build id: 20120614-1722) on Windows 7)
icon4.gif  Insufficient access privileges to apply this update [message #953558] Mon, 22 October 2012 10:45 Go to next message
Trist Post is currently offline Trist PostFriend
Hello!

I am new to eclipse and is having some problems updating it. After configuring proxy settings (I am behind a corporate firewall) I got the update dialog to work. It found an updated Java EE IDE but I cant install it due to "Insufficient access privileges to apply this update" (see attached picture).

I have tried reading up on all links I could find on where Eclipse stores files and made sure I have write permission (or rather full control) on all those locations but so far it has not helped. I am not sure what versions of eclipse the articles I found relates to - where in the eclipse documentation do I find up-to-date information about where files are stored (would also be nice to know if any registry keys are set)? This is not only important for solving this kind of problems but also to be able to 100% cleanly uninstall (in particular since no "uninstaller" application is available)...

I am "local admin" on my computer (i.e. I can perform tasks that requires management privileges but I do not have access to an Administrator account) and there may be some enforced global policies in place since this is a corporate PC...

Re: Insufficient access privileges to apply this update [message #957868 is a reply to message #953558] Thu, 25 October 2012 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Johnson is currently offline Ben JohnsonFriend
I'm experiencing this problem, too.

When I attempt to apply core updates to Eclipse Juno SR1, and by core, I mean "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers" (epp.package.java), I'm unable to place a check-mark next to the update and the message "Insufficient access privileges to apply this update" appears at the bottom of the dialog.

I suspect this is because I installed Eclipse to "C:\Program Files\eclipse", which is a privileged location on Windows. Changes to anything inside this directory require Administrator privileges. Presumably, Eclipse stores core updates in a subdirectory of "C:\Program Files\eclipse", but it stores plug-ins in a subdirectory of the user's home directory. This is why plug-ins can be installed without issue, but installing core updates fails.

I've tried to work around this by launching Eclipse using "Run as Administrator". I'm able to install the updates, but the workspace goes to hell (see attached screenshot).

After I install the update, and I launch Eclipse under my own limited user account, the issue pictured in the attached screenshot persists. I have to re-install all of my plug-ins under my own account for them to begin functioning again.

"Don't install the program in 'C:\Program Files'" isn't an acceptable workaround. The "Program Files" directory is the standard location to which programs are installed in Windows, and there's a reason that its permission settings are strict.

Thanks for any help here.
Re: Insufficient access privileges to apply this update [message #957892 is a reply to message #957868] Thu, 25 October 2012 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 10/25/2012 9:03 AM, Ben Johnson wrote:
> I'm experiencing this problem, too.
>
> [snip]
>
> "Don't install the program in 'C:\Program Files'" isn't an acceptable workaround. The "Program Files" directory is the standard location to which programs are installed in Windows, and there's a reason that its permission settings are strict.

The best place to install Eclipse is C:\Users\me\...\eclipse.

Eclipse was written back in the days of Windows XP and many were still
even using 98.

Eclipse is a personal productivity tool and you're just standing on
ceremony. It's far better to install it locally with a private JDK and
Tomcat, etc. (if you're doing web development) than to deal with the
interminable permissions trouble. Or, you can smoke the Windows 7
permissions thing for your whole Windows box too.

If you want to deal with the restrictions imposed beginning in Windows 7
because you find virtue in doing so, then deal with them and find your
work-arounds. Meanwhile, people are getting work done without the mitre
and stole of your cardinalship.

Just saying...
Re: Insufficient access privileges to apply this update [message #957918 is a reply to message #957892] Thu, 25 October 2012 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Johnson is currently offline Ben JohnsonFriend
Thanks for the response, Russell.

I can live with installing Eclipse to my personal profile directory. At least then the permissions can be set correctly and in accordance with the other items within my profile.

I just wasn't willing to install it to C:\eclipse and set the permissions to the equivalent of 0777, or something equally ridiculous.
Re: Insufficient access privileges to apply this update [message #957930 is a reply to message #957918] Thu, 25 October 2012 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 10/25/2012 9:49 AM, Ben Johnson wrote:
> Thanks for the response, Russell.
>
> I can live with installing Eclipse to my personal profile directory. At
> least then the permissions can be set correctly and in accordance with
> the other items within my profile.
>
> I just wasn't willing to install it to C:\eclipse and set the
> permissions to the equivalent of 0777, or something equally ridiculous.

Ben,

Looked like you're a PHP guy, but getting ready to do some Java?

If so, you'll find things more stable (not every one does this) by
downloading a private copy of a Sun JDK to work with. I put it alongside
eclipse, wire it up via eclipse.ini (-vm option). I also do that for
Tomcat. That way, updating Java on your Windows host won't disturb that;
anything Tomcat my host is doing (usually nothing, but still...) isn't
disturbed, etc.

As I say, not everyone does this, but it's worked well for me. Best of
luck to you.

Russ
Re: Insufficient access privileges to apply this update [message #957987 is a reply to message #957930] Thu, 25 October 2012 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trist Post is currently offline Trist PostFriend
My home account is network mounted and therefore I would like to avoid installing eclipse there but I will try it to see if it makes any difference.

I would however like to sugest an improvement - it would be nice if the message at least told you what directory (or file) that is not writable so one would have some clue to the nature of the problem...
Re: Insufficient access privileges to apply this update [message #989870 is a reply to message #953558] Sat, 08 December 2012 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan Klopka is currently offline Ryan KlopkaFriend
I know it might be a little late to post this but just in case anyone comes by this thread. I had the same problem and how I resolved it was just by running eclipse as administrator. You can do this by right clicking the icon when you start the program up and there is an item that is "run as administrator on it.
Re: Insufficient access privileges to apply this update [message #989894 is a reply to message #989870] Sun, 09 December 2012 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 12/09/2012 09:09 AM, Ryan Klopka wrote:
> I know it might be a little late to post this but just in case anyone
> comes by this thread. I had the same problem and how I resolved it was
> just by running eclipse as administrator. You can do this by right
> clicking the icon when you start the program up and there is an item
> that is "run as administrator on it.

Windows users should resist the temptation to imitate installed software
and put Eclipse where it's got privilege problems. It's private software
for private productivity and should be installed under C:\Users.
Re: Insufficient access privileges to apply this update [message #1058916 is a reply to message #953558] Wed, 15 May 2013 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lyle Ziegelmiller is currently offline Lyle ZiegelmillerFriend
I experienced the permissions problem on Windows 7, so I exited Eclipse and restarted it as administrator (right click on the icon and select, "run as administrator"), and that seemed to solve the problem.
Re: Insufficient access privileges to apply this update [message #1090958 is a reply to message #953558] Tue, 20 August 2013 22:19 Go to previous message
jaime sanmartin is currently offline jaime sanmartinFriend
I'm having this problem with Linux (Fedora 17)
Previous Topic:Change launch directory for all files at once
Next Topic:Finding project in Run Configuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:22:27 GMT 2024