Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Elf interpreted in "edit" view (double click)
Elf interpreted in "edit" view (double click) [message #953350] Mon, 22 October 2012 07:07 Go to next message
Philipp Meier is currently offline Philipp MeierFriend
I once had the Eclipse CDT being able to display an ELF file in "human readable" (i.e. displaying all headers) format. But now I do not know anymore how to achieve this.

What I would like to have is the output of "objdump -x <Elf-File>" to be displayed in an "edit view" (i.e. in the same place I see my source files when I double click on one of them), when I double click my Elf file in the "Project Explorer".

Using the "External Tools Configuration" I can displayed the wanted output in a Console View - but having it in the "edit" view is much more convenient.

Any ideas?

Regards
Philipp

P.S.: I'm working under Ubuntu 12.04 with Eclipse Indigo and CDT 8.0.2.
P.P.S.: I do not know the official name for the view displaying for example source files. Therefore I use the naming "edit view" in this post.
Re: Elf interpreted in "edit" view (double click) [message #953680 is a reply to message #953350] Mon, 22 October 2012 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
I think you mean the Executables View in the Debug Perspective.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Elf interpreted in "edit" view (double click) [message #953734 is a reply to message #953350] Mon, 22 October 2012 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In short:
Yes - I have been searching in the Forum before posting the question.
No - I do not mean the "Executables View" in Debug Perspective.

It really looked like output of objdump but displayed in the "Editor View". The main difference to when I output this to "Console View" was that it displayed all lines of objdump and I just could double click the elf file to open this data.

Any other ideas?
Re: Elf interpreted in "edit" view (double click) [message #953744 is a reply to message #953680] Mon, 22 October 2012 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Googling for "eclipse objdump editor" (sorry, this forum does not allow me to add a link to the found site) I can see that this kind of "Edit View" exists. But I still do not know where I can get this plugin.

Any help appreciated.
Re: Elf interpreted in "edit" view (double click) [message #954820 is a reply to message #953744] Tue, 23 October 2012 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Open the "Binaries" folder in your project and double click your binary. This will open the "Default Binary File Editor" (you can check this by using Open with.. and then select the "Default Binary File Editor"). From the source code of this view (see http://git.eclipse.org/c/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git/tree/core/org.eclipse.cdt.ui/src/org/eclipse/cdt/internal/ui/editor/DefaultBinaryFileEditor.java )
Quote:
* A readonly editor to view binary files. This default implementation displays
* the GNU objdump output of the binary as plain text. If no objdump output can be
* obtained, the binary content is displayed.

From looking at the bugzilla entries https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?list_id=3310101&classification=Tools&query_format=advanced&longdesc=objdump&product=CDT&longdesc_type=allwordssubstr I guess this feature is only implemented for Cygwin.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Elf interpreted in "edit" view (double click) [message #956213 is a reply to message #954820] Wed, 24 October 2012 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have now a version that is fine for me by just adding a post-build step in my project which calls objdump (in my case arm-eabi-objdump) to generate a file with the output I need from time to time.

My post-build command then looks like this:
arm-eabi-objdump -C -x -S ${PWD}/${ProjName} >${PWD}/${ProjName}.objdump

Then I can double-Click on the generated *.objdump file to view the wanted output in an "edit view".

@Axel - thank you for your time and support.
Re: Elf interpreted in "edit" view (double click) [message #1750962 is a reply to message #956213] Tue, 03 January 2017 02:09 Go to previous message
Travis Downs is currently offline Travis DownsFriend
FWIW, probably a few years too late, but this seems to work fine for me if I change the "binary parser" to "GNU Elf parser" from the default of "Elf parser", in C/C++ Builder -> Settings -> Binary Parser.

This will be the default in new eclipse versions I guess:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=481621
Previous Topic:modify editor of linker script files
Next Topic:Linux kernel tweaking
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:40:27 GMT 2024