Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Display Birt engine report on iPad
Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #947048] Tue, 16 October 2012 19:10 Go to next message
Antonio Urbina is currently offline Antonio UrbinaFriend
Hello,

We need your help with a problem when displaying a Birt report on an iPad using Safari and iOS6.

We created a report using the Birt engine and inserted it into a liferay portal. When accessing the report from a desktop environment it displays OK but when accessing it from an iPad (on IOS 6) the iframe starts growing up and by the time it really shows up it is a very small portion of the full redered page on the iPad.

This is a dynamic report based on two parameters that must be selected before the execution.

We published the original frame set that comes out of Birt and noticed the same behavior even outside liferay or other CMS portals such as Joomla. We have come to the conclusion that there is a parameter built in the Birt's master document that is somehow misinterpreted on Safari IOS6 creating the endless growing behavior.

Has anyone encountered the same problem? Can you point us on the right direction in order to solve this issue?

Thanks,
Tony
Re: Display Birt engine repor t on iPad [message #948670 is a reply to message #947048] Thu, 18 October 2012 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin Sutton is currently offline Colin SuttonFriend
Antonio Urbina <forums-noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We need your help with a problem when displaying a Birt report on an iPad
> using Safari and iOS6.
>
> We created a report using the Birt engine and inserted it into a liferay
> portal. When accessing the report from a desktop environment it displays
> OK but when accessing it from an iPad (on IOS 6) the iframe starts
> growing up and by the time it really shows up it is a very small portion
> of the full redered page on the iPad.
>
> This is a dynamic report based on two parameters that must be selected
> before the execution.
>
> We published the original frame set that comes out of Birt and noticed
> the same behavior even outside liferay or other CMS portals such as
> Joomla. We have come to the conclusion that there is a parameter built in
> the Birt's master document that is somehow misinterpreted on Safari IOS6
> creating the endless growing behavior.
>
> Has anyone encountered the same problem? Can you point us on the right
> direction in order to solve this issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony
A couple of my reports continually grow and move to the right when
displaying on the iPad with iOS5. Since they work Ok on the PC and Mac with
Safari it must be an iPad Safari issue.

--
Colin Sutton
Re: Display Birt engine repor t on iPad [message #949366 is a reply to message #948670] Thu, 18 October 2012 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

Colin

Are you setting this render option?
HTMLRenderOption options = new HTMLRenderOption();
options.setOutputFileName("output/resample/renderoptions.html");
options.setOutputFormat("HTML");
options.setViewportMeta("width=device-width");

Jason
Re: Display Birt engine repor t on iPad [message #951173 is a reply to message #949366] Sat, 20 October 2012 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prachi pradhan is currently offline prachi pradhanFriend
Hi,

I am also facing same problem, Reports are continuously expanding in iPad, can anyone help.
Re: Display Birt engine repor t on iPad [message #954198 is a reply to message #951173] Mon, 22 October 2012 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

And setting the "width=device-width" doesn't help? You might also try "initial-scale=1.0".

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1059829 is a reply to message #947048] Tue, 21 May 2013 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Grimball is currently offline Robert GrimballFriend

Jason,

I am using the birt web viewer with the /frameset option and running into the same difficulty as described above.

I noticed your suggestion about using HTMLRenderOption's to setViewportMeta("width=device-width").

This is going to seem like a stupid question, and I am admittedly not nearly as versed in Birt as you or many here, but I am uncertain how to go about getting these options to the web viewer. Presently we simply have a jsp page which forwards the user to the web viewer after setting the __report parameter (may be __reportName, but I'm sure you know what I mean). Where would I create this HTMLRenderOption object and how would I pass it to the viewer? I am guessing I could create one in a scriptlet in the JSP, but I am still at a loss as to how to make the viewer actually use it.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

One more Birt newbie,

Robert

Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1060085 is a reply to message #1059829] Thu, 23 May 2013 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You could try placing the meta tag directly into the FramesetFragment.jsp located in: WebViewerExample\webcontent\birt\pages\layout

Michael

Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1060208 is a reply to message #1060085] Thu, 23 May 2013 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael,

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately either I am not doing it properly or it isn't working. Sad

I put the following into the framesetfragment.jsp :

<META HTTP-EQUIV="width" CONTENT="device-width">

And I even put a breakpoint in the scriptlet in that jsp to make sure it was being run for reports (it is). But no effect on the report on the iPad, it still has the frame growing constantly off to the right into infinity seemingly.

Any clue what I should do to get this working?

Thanks,

Robert
Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1060219 is a reply to message #1060208] Thu, 23 May 2013 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, tried with <META name="width" CONTENT="device-width"> The HTTP-EQUIV was just a second attempt.

Robert
Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1060263 is a reply to message #1060219] Thu, 23 May 2013 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I've not tried this, but try it this way:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

Michael

Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1060412 is a reply to message #1060263] Fri, 24 May 2013 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Michael,

I tried it that way as well and still no effect/change. I guess we are hoping that the viewer servlet picks up the meta tag and alters it's behavior for the output? Naturally I've been trying any number of other attempts to just get it to work, changing to run option instead of frameset, but it still walks across the screen with that loading box with the cancel button.

Any other ideas on how to get this to work with the birt viewer on an iPad?

Thanks for all the help,

Robert
Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1061034 is a reply to message #1060412] Wed, 29 May 2013 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You might try something like this in your report's beforeRender:

importPackage(Packages.org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api);
reportContext.getRenderOption().setOption(IHTMLRenderOption.HTML_VIEWPORT_META,"width=device-width");

Michael

Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1061449 is a reply to message #1061034] Fri, 31 May 2013 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Michael,

Again, thank you for the help, though I put the above in the beforeRender script and there was no effect. It still walks the loading dialog across the window into infinity for some reason I haven't nailed down.

I tried using a PC and Mac version of Safari and both of those work fine. So it is only the iPad that is giving this strange behavior.

Any further suggestions are not only welcomed, but very appreciated as I am at wits end on this and have run out of ideas myself.

Thank you!

Rob
Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1061526 is a reply to message #1061449] Sun, 02 June 2013 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I wish I had a good way to test the suggestions I'm giving. Did you try with initial-scale=1 as well?

Michael

Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1714839 is a reply to message #1061526] Tue, 17 November 2015 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Weinberger is currently offline Robert WeinbergerFriend
It is still the case with an actual Ipad (Air 2).
Firefox and Safari won´t work properly, even the navigation bar of the viewer is already displayed in huge proportions.
Solution: Use Chrome.
Or use Android as it works on every browser there.
Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1717909 is a reply to message #1061449] Thu, 17 December 2015 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Swafford is currently offline James SwaffordFriend
Hello,

I am experiencing this problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks!
Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1720288 is a reply to message #1717909] Fri, 15 January 2016 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin Sutton is currently offline Colin SuttonFriend
The problem still occurs with ios 9.2 and birt 4.5.
Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1726494 is a reply to message #1720288] Mon, 14 March 2016 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Houben is currently offline Chris HoubenFriend
Chrome worked just fine, until new update. Same problem now.

Anyone a solution??
Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1726530 is a reply to message #1726494] Mon, 14 March 2016 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I added position:fixed to FramesetFragment.jsp line 145 and that did the job.

<TABLE ID='layout' CELLSPACING='0' CELLPADDING='0' STYLE='width:100%;height:100%;position:fixed;'>

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2016 13:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1726623 is a reply to message #1726530] Tue, 15 March 2016 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Houben is currently offline Chris HoubenFriend
James Swafford wrote on Mon, 14 March 2016 13:16
I added position:fixed to FramesetFragment.jsp line 145 and that did the job.

<TABLE ID='layout' CELLSPACING='0' CELLPADDING='0' STYLE='width:100%;height:100%;position:fixed;'>

Thx for the fast reply James. But this solution isn't working for me. The Birt report parameters are shown correctly at start up but it isn't possible to edit the variables and not possible to click the OK button. (same result for Safari and Chrome)

An other solution anyone?
Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1729875 is a reply to message #1726623] Tue, 19 April 2016 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably too late now but I just discovered that the 'position:fixed' solution seems to disable all the controls in the Report Export dialog. Did you ever come up with another solution?

Re: Display Birt engine report on iPad [message #1729879 is a reply to message #1729875] Tue, 19 April 2016 22:08 Go to previous message
As an edit, this seems to fix both the scrolling problem and the 'Export Report' problem.

position:fixed;z-index:999;
Previous Topic:Exporting data into excel error
Next Topic:Report running hardcoded query. Not substituting params
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:45:32 GMT 2024