Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » egit says I have uncommitted files
egit says I have uncommitted files [message #941787] Fri, 12 October 2012 21:39 Go to next message
Edward Felsenthal is currently offline Edward FelsenthalFriend
I have been using egit with the old Eclipse but recently switched to Juno. It worked fine for a while, but now I have this: I clone a repository and immediately try to commit. It should tell me nothing to commit, do I want to ammend the last commit. In fact from a different computer, this is what happens. But from my computer, it tells me I have a bunch of files that need committing. I tried deleting my workspace and eclipse folders and re-installing a new Eclipse. Same thing. This is nuts. Any ideas?
Re: egit says I have uncommitted files [message #942387 is a reply to message #941787] Sat, 13 October 2012 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eliseo Ocampos is currently offline Eliseo OcamposFriend
Hey Edward, I'm not an EGit user so I can't help you, but maybe the guys on EGit forum can guide you Smile (http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/f/48/)
Re: egit says I have uncommitted files [message #945628 is a reply to message #941787] Mon, 15 October 2012 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fixed my problem after thinking about it for a while. Here was my logic: Assuming egit is working properly: The files that it is telling me need to be committed because they were deleted and then added to my project must have been actually deleted and then added to my project. Obviously, it wasn't me that did that since I just cloned the repository 10 seconds ago. Therefore, there must be program on my computer that "messed" with the files. Then I said to myself, what could possibly be doing that? Well, the answer is: source control programs such as git, tortoise, csv, et. Then a lightbulb went off: did't I recently install a new version of Git onto my computer? Answer: yes. So I uninstalled it. Now E-Git complained a bit that Git was missing, it told me that Git wasn't necessary to have, though and it could keep working. Problem RESOLVED. On further consideration, I think a setting I used while installing GIT may be conflicting with a setting in EGIT. BUT THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM BECAUSE I FIXED IF FOR MYSELF BY REMOVING GIT. I'm sure someone must care, but it ain't me --- yet. bye.
Re: egit says I have uncommitted files [message #945629 is a reply to message #942387] Mon, 15 October 2012 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I guess I posted to the wrong forum Rolling Eyes . I'll post to the e-git forum for the next issue, if there is one.
Re: egit says I have uncommitted files [message #945652 is a reply to message #945629] Mon, 15 October 2012 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 10/15/2012 7:43 AM, Edward Felsenthal wrote:
> Thanks, I guess I posted to the wrong forum :roll: . I'll post to the
> e-git forum for the next issue, if there is one.
Edward,

There is in fact a separate eGit forum.

By the way, this issue is exactly what has kept me from walking the eGit
path, that plus the fact that I find the operations faster and more
intuitive from the command line anyway. Our architect tried out eGit two
years ago, just ahead of us, and experienced this. Plus, I had some
trouble actually getting my project cloned and I gave up because I'm a
command line sort of guy anyway.

What I am missing out on is the ability to compare file versions in the
way I could back when I was using Subversion and Subclipse (or
Subversive before that). I can do that from the command line and I do,
but it would certainly be slicker in Eclipse.

Best!
Re: egit says I have uncommitted files [message #945714 is a reply to message #945652] Mon, 15 October 2012 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can ignore my lengthy analysis above. I re-installed Git (I did not need to ever uninstall either Git or Eclipse) and I sent the command from the command prompt:
git config --global core.autocrlf false
This fixed the problem and allows Git and E-Git to work together (the way my settings are). I do think this recently became an issue with one of the recent Git releases and someone over at the Git corporation should look at it. As if... LOL

@Russell. I just kind of poke my way around through E-Git and hope to get things right, I am slowly learning over the course of a year how to work with Git and E-Git in a collaborative environment. I like it OK. Some things you have to revert to the command prompt for, though like GIT DIFF. I used to be a command prompt guy when I programmed in DOS. Never got into UNIX so I gave up the command prompt a long time ago. I know some people in my office swear by the command prompt and they are very fast.
Re: egit says I have uncommitted files [message #946804 is a reply to message #941787] Tue, 16 October 2012 14:22 Go to previous message
Here is the fix in case someone else comes accross the same error:

git config --global core.autocrlf false

This will keep Git from messing with the carriage-return line-feeds in the files as they get cloned by E-Git.
Previous Topic:Update feature deletes update sites?
Next Topic:how to subscribe to other Forums such as PDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:23:38 GMT 2024