Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Trouble Adding Existing Local Git Repository
icon9.gif  Trouble Adding Existing Local Git Repository [message #941041] Fri, 12 October 2012 07:04 Go to next message
Matt Donnelly is currently offline Matt DonnellyFriend
I've been working with git-svn for some time now, using the git side of things in Eclipse so that I can compare revisions/history, switch branches easily, etc.

Recently, I had an issue with my Eclipse workspace, and it lost track of the fact that my Git repository was added to the Git Repository Exploring view. The project still existed, but it was treated by Eclipse as if I had imported just the working directory, not the Git repository, so the Team menu (and other Git tools) are unavailable to me within Eclipse/EGit.

I've tried going back and doing the same steps I did initially to add the repository:

Click "Add an existing local Git repository".
Enter the directory of the Git repository.
Check the Git repository I want to add.
Click "Finish".

Unfortunately, even though my repository is checked, when I click Finish nothing shows up in the repository viewer, like it used to. It is a blank pane that still has the same instructions on how to add my Git repository.

Has anyone had similar problems in the past? I'm accustomed to using CLI, but there are some things that are simply more convenient to me in the EGit UI, like comparing between HEAD and some branch.

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.
Re: Trouble Adding Existing Local Git Repository [message #941054 is a reply to message #941041] Fri, 12 October 2012 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To clarify, I see my Git repositories on the Add Repository screen (image 1), but in both the Import Project screen (image 2) and the Git Repositories view (image 3), I don't see anything from completing the add process, so I'm unable to import my project. Note that the directory structure has not changed since it previously was working. I am using Eclipse Juno and installed EGit from the marketplace:

Eclipse EGit 2.1.0.201209190230-r org.eclipse.egit.feature.group Eclipse EGit

index.php/fa/11822/0/

index.php/fa/11823/0/

index.php/fa/11824/0/

[Updated on: Fri, 12 October 2012 07:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Trouble Adding Existing Local Git Repository [message #941520 is a reply to message #941054] Fri, 12 October 2012 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Are you trying to re-use the broken workspace, or did you make a new one? I would make a new one if you haven't done that already. Once a workspace has "issues", as you put it, it's best deleted altogether in my experience,

Re: Trouble Adding Existing Local Git Repository [message #962122 is a reply to message #941520] Sun, 28 October 2012 22:13 Go to previous message
I had tried creating a new workspace, with no luck. However, for some reason I tried again without making any further changes last Friday (10/19) and it just worked. No idea why--maybe an Eclipse or EGit update, but I don't recall updating.

Either way, the problem is (somehow) solved.

Woohoo!
Previous Topic:symlinks under git repository are tagged for removal at each commit
Next Topic:Support required in Submodules in EGIT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 21:57:51 GMT 2024