Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » Odd solution to a hang, now thoroughly confused
Odd solution to a hang, now thoroughly confused [message #933027] Thu, 04 October 2012 17:01 Go to next message
Alex Thibodeau is currently offline Alex ThibodeauFriend
So for a while now we've been having an issue where our RCP application on eclipse 3.5.2 will hang when the file dialog box is opened and the user either makes a selection or selects "cancel." After stepping through the code and googling the vast depths of the internet I found a few bug reports that matched the issue we were seeing including this one:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=280649

We were also seeing other freezes aside from this one, that specifically seemed to stem from usage of the AWT_SWT bridge (we have AWT stuff within SWT).

So where things get strange is I see none of these hangs/freezes if I ssh to localhost on the Solaris workstation I'm using. Unfortunately my knowledge of GTK and how X11 forwarding impacts the display of the UI is lacking. Does anyone have any hints on what is happening behind the scenes that could be fixing this issue for me?

Thanks!
Re: Odd solution to a hang, now thoroughly confused [message #937184 is a reply to message #933027] Mon, 08 October 2012 19:00 Go to previous message
Alex Thibodeau is currently offline Alex ThibodeauFriend
Found out some more info, in particular, an environment variable that becomes unset when you ssh. The GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID is no longer set when sshed. This is somehow affecting how our RCP application is running and resolving the freezing issues.
Previous Topic:How to configure browser prefs for XULRunner 10.x?
Next Topic:Programatically open a menu from menubar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:38:36 GMT 2024