Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » EGit could not detect where Git is installed
EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #932796] Thu, 04 October 2012 12:44 Go to next message
Judy Luo is currently offline Judy LuoFriend
I just installed Eclipse Juno, and when I first try to start a new Java project, it pops out two messages. (I do not have the same problem with Eclipse Indigo) Can anyone help me please. Thanks a lot.

The first one- EGit could not detect where Git is installed

EGit does not require Git to function, but there may be important settings in the installation directory that EGit needs to know about in order

to be compatible with Git. The most important of these settings is core.autocrlf. Git for Windows by default sets this parameter to true in the

etc director of the Git installation. The directory can be configured in Preferences under Team > Git.

The second-
Check Home Directory C:\Users\"my name"

the environment variable HOME is not set. The following directory will be used for storing the Git user configuration and as default repository location: C:\Users\"my name". If this is not correct please set the HOME environment variable and restart Eclipse.
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #933028 is a reply to message #932796] Thu, 04 October 2012 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
The messages EGit displays seem pretty self-explanatory. What is it specifically you want to know?
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #933356 is a reply to message #933028] Fri, 05 October 2012 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Judy Luo is currently offline Judy LuoFriend
Thanks for replying, Shapiro. I want to know that do I need to install this Git separately?
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #933886 is a reply to message #933356] Fri, 05 October 2012 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
You can get a standard Git installation here:

http://git-scm.com/downloads

A standard Git installation is handy, given that JGit is not a complete implementation. But as the message says, it's optional. You don't need this to use EGit/JGit.
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1008137 is a reply to message #932796] Sun, 10 February 2013 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Clemens Faerber is currently offline Jan Clemens FaerberFriend
Hi!

Quote:
The first one- EGit could not detect where Git is installed

Yes, after you've downloaded Git like mentioned above you set the install directory in the preferences:
Team - Git - Configuration - Tab 'System Settings'
and browse your Git folder.
Then Eclipse fills all information in the table when you've clicked 'OK' or 'Apply'.

Quote:
The second-
Check Home Directory C:\Users\"my name"

There is a great youtube EGit github Tutorial - you will find the answer starting at 1:50
Later in the video it doesn't seem as if it works - but I simply restarted the computer and it worked fine.
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1008138 is a reply to message #933886] Sun, 10 February 2013 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Clemens Faerber is currently offline Jan Clemens FaerberFriend
But a lot of 'help' on the GitHub pages show the Git shell. I installed it and then preferences (eclipse) - Team - Git - Configuration - Tab System Settings and here you browse the Git directory of the installed software.

HOME variable is explained in a great youtube EGit github Tutorial by Southpaw018 - maybe you should restart the computer.
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1009761 is a reply to message #1008138] Fri, 15 February 2013 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Rinkenberger is currently offline Matt RinkenbergerFriend
Where does one find the Preferences (eclipse) - Team - Git - Configuration?

I don't see a "Preferences" menu item or option when I right-click my project.

Thanks,
Matt
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1010923 is a reply to message #1009761] Mon, 18 February 2013 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
That's described in the Eclipse workbench reference [1]. Find this menu in the main Eclipse application menu.
On Mac the "Preferences" menu entry is under "Eclipse" on the other platforms under "Window".

[1] http://help.eclipse.org/juno/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.user%2Freference%2Fref-72.htm&cp=0_4_1
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1053011 is a reply to message #933886] Wed, 01 May 2013 21:49 Go to previous message
Candice Wooten is currently offline Candice WootenFriend
Thank you! This worked for me :)
Previous Topic:How do I clone a repository in EGit?
Next Topic:How to push a tag to gitgub
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:47:53 GMT 2024