Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Differences between Equinox and other OSGi implementations and general OSGi questions
Differences between Equinox and other OSGi implementations and general OSGi questions [message #932579] Thu, 04 October 2012 08:33
Tobias P. is currently offline Tobias P.Friend
Hi Guys,

i am new to the whole OSGi stuff and my task is to convert a existing Maven Application into an OSGi Bundle.

To start up i did some research and landed at Equinox, Knoplerfish and Apache Felix, three Open Source OSGi implementations.

As far as I understand OSGi is collection of "descriptions" and "rules" similar to Java.

So here are my questions

1. Since all three of the above are implementing the same Standard, what are the differences?

2. Via the Equinox Shell ( is this the right title for java -jar org.eclipse.osgi_<version>.jar ?) it is possible to install,uninstall,etc... bundles.
Is that happening at the start of the Eclipse IDE. In the widest sense Eclipse Plugins are OSGi Bundles...

3. I believe Eclipse is the most famous Software using OSGi. What are other known representatives usgin OSGi

I appreciate every help
Previous Topic:NPE in launcher.WebstartMain
Next Topic:How to start bundles in proper order
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 17:40:06 GMT 2024