Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Noob Question(Repo Admin Service)
Noob Question [message #931791] Wed, 03 October 2012 14:29 Go to next message
Seth Helstrip is currently offline Seth HelstripFriend
Hi there,
Trying to use the repo admin service, from the gogo command shell. Thinking that I need to add my OBR xml descriptor. When trying to run;-

osgi> repos add /home/seth/.m2/repository/repository.xml
No repository admin service available

Do I need to start this service first or something. Running Virgo 3.5 on 64bit Linux.

Many thanks in advance,
Seth
Re: Noob Question [message #932704 is a reply to message #931791] Thu, 04 October 2012 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, getting very little (read none) response to this, and can't find anything about it in the docs.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with this one.

I've had a look at the various application deployment options, and OBR sounds good - especially since we're using Maven for our builds.

Am I to assume by the silence this is something that Virgo doesn't support, and therefore we should be looking at another app deployment option?

I've read the docs on plan deployment, but would like to keep the deployment mechanism independent of the chosen OSGi deployment environment, should we want to change in the future (maybe this isn't a good place to be mentioning that Surprised)

Any help greatfully appreciated!

[Updated on: Thu, 04 October 2012 10:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Noob Question [message #933846 is a reply to message #932704] Fri, 05 October 2012 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Waibel is currently offline Florian WaibelFriend
Hi Seth,

your assumption is right. Virgo has no support for OBR and the OBR commands should not be present in Virgo (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=350839).

Regards,
Florian
Re: Noob Question [message #936965 is a reply to message #933846] Mon, 08 October 2012 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that - we're happily now producing pars, generated by the maven-par-plugin
Re: Noob Question [message #939207 is a reply to message #936965] Wed, 10 October 2012 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, now seen that pars aren't going to cut it for us. We're producing crazy length dependency chains (think up to 6 levels deep), and these need to be managed. PARs are not guaranteed to deploy in the order of their contents, and with this in mind, we need to move to plans.

Anyway, the next problem is that we will have hundreds of necessary jars for our application, all nicely installed in our Maven repo, but without a mechanism for gathering and deploying them (when using plans).

What I really want is a hibred of plans and pars.

par to gather + deploy

and

plan to tell the server which order to load the resources in

Is there such a thing? I've seen in the docs, that I can use plans to deploy pars, but this doesn't solve the problem of pars not deploying in order.

Has anyone else handled this problem in a clean and elegant way?
Re: Noob Question [message #939211 is a reply to message #939207] Wed, 10 October 2012 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should point out that our Maven repo isn't visible from our prod environment, and as such, specifying the URIs in the plan, to a URL on the maven repo isn't an option - otherwise, that'd have been a nice way to do it.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 October 2012 14:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Noob Question [message #940345 is a reply to message #939211] Thu, 11 October 2012 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
How about putting the PARs in repository/usr and then deploying a plan which lists the PARs in the appropriate order?
Re: Noob Question [message #941258 is a reply to message #940345] Fri, 12 October 2012 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its the deployment order of the bundles within the PARS that is the problem.
Re: Noob Question [message #941276 is a reply to message #941258] Fri, 12 October 2012 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
I see, thanks. Then plans are a reasonable workaround.

The ideal solution would be to make the bundles cope with arbitrary deployment orders, but that may not be a quick fix. That also helps bundles cope in situations where one of them is updated. We used Blueprint in Virgo to achieve this and more recently we've been using Declarative Services for the same reason in the kernel.
Re: Noob Question [message #941288 is a reply to message #941276] Fri, 12 October 2012 11:18 Go to previous message
Interesting. We're using blueprint, but we still need to deploy the dependencies of a bundle before deploying the bundle itself - otherwise it fails to deploy.

In a similar fashion, we're separating (in different bundles) our interfaces from the implementation, in an attempt to decouple, and ease re-release. With this in mind, again, we need to deploy the interface, before the implementation.

I'm a little confused how using blueprint, solves these problems, or are we speaking at cross-purposes?
Previous Topic:Can you describe how you are using Virgo?
Next Topic:Virgo as Windows Service
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:12:49 GMT 2024