Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Problems with "-install" parameter {osgi.install.area}
Problems with "-install" parameter {osgi.install.area} [message #930632] Tue, 02 October 2012 13:55 Go to next message
gerald r. is currently offline gerald r.Friend
Hi there,

i am currently moving the locations from an older rcp-application into user.home.
and i am having problems with it.

client.ini:
-data
@user.home\client\workspace
-configuration
@user.home\client\configuration
-install
@user.home\client\plugins

configuration and data are working fine.
if i only use this parameters the client runs.

but if i try to also change the install location, i always get the famous "launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library"-error.
i am not sure which folder the parameter should point to.

normaly (before i tried to decouple parts from the application) my programfolder looked like this:

(File)
[Folder]

(.eclipseproduct)
(client.exe)
(client.ini)
[configuration]
[workspace]
[jre]
[plugins]
[features]

Of course there are also some application related files and folders. but i shortend them away to keep it simple.
i moved the plugins and features folder(and all the other stuff except the client.exe) to user.home\client and added the -install parameter, but i always get that error.
i tried @user.home\client, @user.home\client\plugins, @user.home\client\features and also directly the equinox launcher folder within the plugins folder. nothing works.

i am trying to find examples or some specific information regarding this paramter.
but until now i could only find this: http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Fruntime-options.html
but this wont help me too.
so i hope someone here can help me.

all the best,
gerald
Re: Problems with "-install" parameter {osgi.install.area} [message #931644 is a reply to message #930632] Wed, 03 October 2012 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i investigated a little bit more:

you have to keep the launcher plugins in the normal prgramfolder, but you can move the feature folder and a plugin folder with the "own" plugin (which will get updated) to user.home.

but there is an other problem:
it seems like @user.home only works for "-install"if its not on a network with shared desktops.
the user.home on my developing pc is something like //THENETWORK/folders/users/myuser. if i write this path directly to the ini it works. if i use @user.home it will not work.
the funny thing is,@user.home works for "-data" and "-configuration" well.

someone knows a solution for this?
Re: Problems with "-install" parameter {osgi.install.area} [message #931720 is a reply to message #931644] Wed, 03 October 2012 13:11 Go to previous message
okay. this seems to be a bug in the launcher. osgi.install.area does not correctly resolve @user.home. instead it just puts it into a normal url.
so i am goona put my updates into C\:users\all users\client.
Previous Topic:NPE in o.e.equinox.launcher.WebstartMain
Next Topic:Hide folders but reference them
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:02:26 GMT 2024