Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Preparing cvs->git Migration: Developer workflow(Problems finding future patch workflow for developers)
icon5.gif  Preparing cvs->git Migration: Developer workflow [message #930595] Tue, 02 October 2012 13:13 Go to next message
katie evans is currently offline katie evansFriend

Hi all,

I am currently trying to convert a customer from CVS to git. Unfortunately I am sort of stuck at primarily one topic:

Currently, development makes a patch from every new feature or bugfix and they have a complete toolset in place to use these patchsets for application updates (development/patch target is a web framework written in a scripting language). For the sake of stability, I may not change the update workflows and CVS to git at the same time.

Unfortunately, I could not find a sane workflow yet in Eclipse/EGit for this sort of patching workflow, because it seems like you can only create patches in EGit from one commit to its predecessor.

That probably means a developer wont be able to commit anything until his current task hs been completely implemented. Then he would commit and create a patch. Clearly, especially in the git-spirit of "commit early, commit often" this is everything but optimal.

The other way I could think about would involve leaving Eclipse and making the patches outside in a command line environment. This also would be not good, because devs neither wont like the necessity to leave Eclipse nor would it be easy to train them for using git on the cmdline.

Since I am not an Eclipse guru, I wanted to ask you if you can imagine a way to find a proper workflow, preferably completely inside Eclipse, that would allow devs something like:

* create a local branch per task
* commit as often as they feel like
* create a patch that includes all changes made on that branch
* merge back the branch

How would you accomplish this?

Thank you very much for your help!
Re: Preparing cvs->git Migration: Developer workflow [message #933768 is a reply to message #930595] Fri, 05 October 2012 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would there be a way to create / integrate a custom command sequence like
cd $GIT-REPO-PATH
git format-patch master --stdout >$HOME/patches/patch-$DATE.patch

in a way that users could easily chosse it from a context menu?

That would solve the problem described above.
Re: Preparing cvs->git Migration: Developer workflow [message #933917 is a reply to message #933768] Fri, 05 October 2012 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Assuming each developer has a standard Git installation and has defined a String Substitution variable pointing at this location, it's not generally difficult to create an Eclipse external launcher that can be committed and shared. I do this regularly for for various Git operations that aren't supported by JGit (gc, prune, difftool, svn bridging, etc) The plugin provides variables for the working directory root of the selected repository (git_work_tree) and the active branch (git_branch), among other things, and HOME is accessible via env_var at least in linux/unix.

I don't know how to get the current date/time as an Eclipse variable. But that's not a Git/EGit question anyway.
Re: Preparing cvs->git Migration: Developer workflow [message #939977 is a reply to message #933917] Thu, 11 October 2012 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well thanks a lot for the launcher hint, which is the way I kinda solved the problem now. I did not find a way to substitute a date, too. In addition I found that ${file_prompt} on OSX does not allow the user to create NEW files but only to select existing ones, which is a bit of a problem in Patch generation Sad

Does anyone have an idea which component to file a bug on for that problem?
Re: Preparing cvs->git Migration: Developer workflow [message #940233 is a reply to message #939977] Thu, 11 October 2012 12:46 Go to previous message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Quote:
In addition I found that ${file_prompt} on OSX does not allow the user to create NEW files but only to select existing ones

Yeah, I just noticed that myself - I hadn't used this before and was trying it out for a Git bundle creation launcher. Is it really a platform-specific absence? Maybe JGit will support bundles directly soon...

Previous Topic:EGit https clone
Next Topic:Push error: git-receive-pack not permitted
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:45:30 GMT 2024