Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » reopen a project
reopen a project [message #929849] Mon, 01 October 2012 20:41 Go to next message
wws_ques wws_ques is currently offline wws_ques wws_quesFriend
There are many projects in the package explorer view so I deleted some from the view (not on the disk). Now, I want to reopen a project in the same workspace. I use import -> existing project into workspace -> select root directory and find my project. Then, I somtimes got: "Some projects cannot be imported because they already exist in the workspace", which didn't allow to open the previously no-show project. But sometimes, I could. Can someone tell me what is the correct way to reopen a project in the same workspace. Thanks.
B.
Re: reopen a project [message #930796 is a reply to message #929849] Tue, 02 October 2012 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 10/1/2012 2:41 PM, wws_ques wws_ques wrote:
> There are many projects in the package explorer view so I deleted some
> from the view (not on the disk). Now, I want to reopen a project in the
> same workspace. I use import -> existing project into workspace ->
> select root directory and find my project. Then, I somtimes got: "Some
> projects cannot be imported because they already exist in the
> workspace", which didn't allow to open the previously no-show project.
> But sometimes, I could. Can someone tell me what is the correct way to
> reopen a project in the same workspace. Thanks.
> B.

When you deleted the project(s), you didn't delete them from disk, in
the workspace. Now that you try to import them, they're already in the
workspace subdirectory even though they're not projects of the
workspace. There are different ways to proceed. The easiest is to move
them elsewhere, then try to import them again.

When you import them, you'll be given the option of getting them created
in the workspace (again). You decide whether you want to do that.
Re: reopen a project [message #931740 is a reply to message #930796] Wed, 03 October 2012 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Rees is currently offline David ReesFriend
For the future, note you can also "close projects". That will still show the project as just a closed folder in the the Project/Package Explorer, but it will not be loaded into the workspace. You can then just "open project" on the projects you want to work with.
Re: reopen a project [message #931741 is a reply to message #931740] Wed, 03 October 2012 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the help on closing projects - http://help.eclipse.org/juno/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tasks/tasks-47.htm
Re: reopen a project [message #933138 is a reply to message #931741] Thu, 04 October 2012 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wws_ques wws_ques is currently offline wws_ques wws_quesFriend
Thanks for the reply. When I close the project in the package explorer view, the project is still there without "+". I dont want to include the closed project in the package view since the number of projects in a workspace can increase dramatically. That's why I delete a close project from the package view but not from the disk. The question is that I cannot reopen in it in the package view sometimes. I think it should be several clicks to reopen a close project.
Re: reopen a project [message #933824 is a reply to message #929849] Fri, 05 October 2012 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
On 01.10.2012 22:41, wws_ques wws_ques wrote:
> There are many projects in the package explorer view so I deleted some
> from the view (not on the disk). Now, I want to reopen a project in
> the same workspace. I use import -> existing project into workspace ->
> select root directory and find my project. Then, I somtimes got: "Some
> projects cannot be imported because they already exist in the
> workspace", which didn't allow to open the previously no-show project.
> But sometimes, I could. Can someone tell me what is the correct way to
> reopen a project in the same workspace. Thanks.
> B.

See https://bugs.eclipse.org/353323 for the bug and a workaround.

Dani
Re: reopen a project [message #934059 is a reply to message #933138] Fri, 05 October 2012 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FYI, You can use Working Sets to group your projects in Project/Package Explorer. See http://help.eclipse.org/juno/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/concepts/cworkset.htm.

In Package Explorer there is a "Other Projects" Working Set that shows projects that are not in any working set and you can also drag projects between working sets. Unfortunately Project Explorer is still missing these features - https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=266030, https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=390348.
Re: reopen a project [message #1823519 is a reply to message #929849] Sat, 28 March 2020 04:08 Go to previous message
Manoj Tiwari is currently offline Manoj TiwariFriend
I downloaded Spring Tools Suite 4 yesterday and faced the same issue. I understand that this issue was raised in 2012 and that, a workaround has already been provided.

I am replying to this post as I encountered the same problem and reached here for a solution to the issue.

I tried a different approach. Eclipse creates a ".metadata" folder in the workspace directory. I deleted the ".metadata" directory and the error was gone. I am able to import project without any issue. One may always get older ".metadata" directory from recycle bin, just in case this solution doesn't work. Alternatively, one may create a backup of ".metadata" directory.

Thanks,
Manoj Tiwari

Previous Topic:Installation Problem
Next Topic:Error message "the package __ is not accessible"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:23:02 GMT 2024