Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » EGL only write file on changes
EGL only write file on changes [message #929080] Mon, 01 October 2012 07:48 Go to next message
Maarten Bezemer is currently offline Maarten BezemerFriend
Hi,

Is it (easily) possible to let EGL only write the file if it actually changed? (Assumming it as already generated earlier)

For larger projects my C++ code generation results in lots and lots of source files. After a minor change in the model, code generation rewrites all files.
Resulting in make recompiling all files, eventhough most of them are unchanged...

Thanks,
Maarten
Re: EGL only write file on changes [message #929365 is a reply to message #929080] Mon, 01 October 2012 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Maarten,

That shouldn't be too difficult to fix. Could you perhaps file an enhancement request for this?

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=EMFT.Epsilon

Of course, any contributions in this direction would clearly help speed things up Smile

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: EGL only write file on changes [message #929389 is a reply to message #929365] Mon, 01 October 2012 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos wrote on Mon, 01 October 2012 13:53

Of course, any contributions in this direction would clearly help speed things up Smile

If you could point me to to the class which is responsible for loading/writing generated files I could give it a try Smile
Re: EGL only write file on changes [message #929398 is a reply to message #929389] Mon, 01 October 2012 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks! The doGenerate/write methods of /org.eclipse.epsilon.egl.engine/src/org/eclipse/epsilon/egl/EglFileGeneratingTemplate.java should be a good starting point for this. So that the engine doesn't have to remember what it generated and what not I'd be inclined to read the contents of the existing file, compare it with the output and only overwrite if different.
Re: EGL only write file on changes [message #929587 is a reply to message #929398] Mon, 01 October 2012 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patch submitted: Bug #390836

It was a pain in the *** to test it, as I use the official released version (so my users are able to easily obtain Epsilon). This version is very outdated, especially package name changes took quite some time to solve.
Is there any plan to provide a new official release? (lots of cool feature have been added lately, so I cannot wait to use that version in my application!)
Re: EGL only write file on changes [message #929633 is a reply to message #929587] Mon, 01 October 2012 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Maarten,

Thanks. Yes, 1.0 will be released within the next few days.

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: EGL only write file on changes [message #929868 is a reply to message #929633] Mon, 01 October 2012 20:59 Go to previous message
Excellent news!
Previous Topic:PeriodicallyUpdateEPackageRegistryMonitorJob eats away heap
Next Topic:[EOL] Model Loading Errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 05:33:51 GMT 2024