Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » DSDP - Real-Time Software Components (RTSC) » XGCONF and .xml files documentation(Where can I find this?)
XGCONF and .xml files documentation [message #927374] Sat, 29 September 2012 15:35 Go to next message
James Lockwood is currently offline James LockwoodFriend
I want to learn more about the specifics of the available controls and tag names used in .xml files for use with XGCONF, but I can't seem to find the documentation I am looking for.

While XDCTools/RTSC is powerful in and of itself, I find XGCONF the icing on the cake to truly provide ease of use for modules. For the RTSC consumers that might not have a good understanding of how to create a .cfg file properly, XGCONF gives that extra bit to make the configuration step painless. The GUI also serves as a great reference later on after your code is working to display the configuration in a nice and orderly manner without having to read .cfg file.

So far, I have been managing to figure stuff out by examining the .xml files for SYS/BIOS and extensive experimentation. This sub-optimal.

I am guessing that the eclipse SWT widgets are used, but it appears you can't just use any widget. I have been figuring out the controls available and their properties by entering in 'control type="junk" badtag="junk" to cause an error so I can click the details box and have it show a message telling me what possible values it was expecting.

Is there any such documentation, or can someone point me to source code that I can examine for XGCONF or whatever code is doing the interpretation of these .xml files? I can not find XGCONF in Eclipse's RTSC svn. I'm guessing it is only a Texas Instruments kind of thing?

Thanks,
James Lockwood
Re: XGCONF and .xml files documentation [message #930004 is a reply to message #927374] Tue, 02 October 2012 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sasha Slijepcevic is currently offline Sasha SlijepcevicFriend
James,
Xgconf source code is not publicly available. As for documentation, there is very little available and it's on a TI server not visible to public. We haven't had any users asking about that until now. But, only today we had two users asking about that documentation so I am planning to write something and post on RTSC-Pedia. It should be ready in matter of days rather than weeks, and I'll post link here.
In the meantime, take a look at the package xdc.runtime in an XDCtools installation. You'll see some XML files similar to ones that you found in SYS/BIOS, but the ones in xdc.runtime should be simpler. You can use these XML files as a guide to what should work.
Re: XGCONF and .xml files documentation [message #930647 is a reply to message #930004] Tue, 02 October 2012 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sasha,
Good to hear there will be more subject matter on this soon.

I've been actively investigating RTSC full-time for use within our company over the past several weeks. It can solve many issues we currently face. XML documentation will aid me in convincing my co-workers to adopt RTSC and the XML method for easing the configuration of our new projects. I have looked at much of the xdc code (including xdc.runtime) for .xml references as well as for obtaining a better understanding of what is going on behind the scenes.

I am excited to be able to get the most out of this incredible tool and am also surprised there has not been more activity on this topic up until now.

Thank You,
James Lockwood
Re: XGCONF and .xml files documentation [message #940673 is a reply to message #927374] Thu, 11 October 2012 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James, I started something here: http://rtsc.eclipse.org/docs-tip/XGCONF_Module_Writers_Guide. It's still very basic because I got sidetracked with other issues, but I'll get back to it soon.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2012 23:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: XGCONF documentation - problem to access http://rtsc.eclipse.org ? [message #947768 is a reply to message #940673] Wed, 17 October 2012 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony Berthet is currently offline Anthony BerthetFriend
Hi Shasa,

Irt seems that there are trouble to access http://rtsc.eclipse.org. Is there an issue with accessing the docs?

I am not sure where to report it.

Thanks and best regards,
Anthony
Re: XGCONF documentation - problem to access http://rtsc.eclipse.org ? [message #954402 is a reply to message #947768] Tue, 23 October 2012 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony,
that was a temporary problem with the Eclipse server. You should be able to see the page now.
Re: XGCONF documentation - problem to access http://rtsc.eclipse.org ? [message #1369590 is a reply to message #954402] Tue, 20 May 2014 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gabriel Terwesten is currently offline Gabriel TerwestenFriend
Hey there,

I know the thread is quite old but before opening up a new one I wanted to check if there are any developments in respect to primers, tutorials and documentation. I could only find this guide. It is not really going into instances, which is what im struggling with at the moment.
Are there any plans to get some more information on xgconf out there or have I missed something?

Thanks and all the best
Gabriel
Re: XGCONF documentation - problem to access http://rtsc.eclipse.org ? [message #1369841 is a reply to message #1369590] Tue, 20 May 2014 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a snippet I use to list the named instances and select one of them.

<tr></tr>
    <tr>
      <td>
      <h1>GpioConfigProvider Instances</h1>
      <table><tr>
        <td><control type="listbox" id="master" text="value:this.$activeInstance" width="200" height="15" align="fill" labels="value:this"/></td>
      </tr></table>
    </td>
  </tr>

And to display whatever instance is selected, here is another snippet

<td context="value:widget.master.selection">
      <h1>Port Selection</h1>
      <table>
        <tr>
          <td><control type="label" label="Control Address" align="left"/></td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><control type="label"
                         label="value:this.Ports.A1.baseAddressCtrl"
                         display="hex"/></td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><control type="label" label="Data Address" align="left"/></td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td context="value:widget.master.selection"><control type="label"
                         label="value:this.Ports.A1.baseAddressData"
                         display="hex"/></td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><control type="label" label="Sampling Period" align="left"/></td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><control type="editbox"
                         value="value:this.Ports.A1.samplingPeriod"  width="80"/></td>
        </tr>

</table>
    </td>

Hope this helps you.
Re: XGCONF documentation - problem to access http://rtsc.eclipse.org ? [message #1372565 is a reply to message #1369841] Wed, 21 May 2014 22:05 Go to previous message
Gabriel Terwesten is currently offline Gabriel TerwestenFriend
Great, thanks! This looks very much like what I needed.
Previous Topic:how to coomunicate environment variables to cfg file
Next Topic:Assert strings populated in xdc.runtime.Text dispite being disabled
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:46:14 GMT 2024