Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Store EMF models in a database without using Eclipse ( EMF-GWT with CDO / Teneo / EMF Store)
Store EMF models in a database without using Eclipse [message #924107] Wed, 26 September 2012 14:11 Go to next message
thomas legrand is currently offline thomas legrandFriend
Hi all,

My team and I are searching for help to store models in a database. At this point, we don't have the right solution. We are trying to create an online EMF modeler allowing to :

- easily create a class model and diagram
- export the models as XMI, images ...
- generate some code

At the moment, we have a first beta version allowing to create class models, to store them and to generate some code (www.genmymodel.com) .
It uses GWT and EMF-GWT on the client side, and the models are passed from the client to the server using a binary serialization.

Our problem is: the models are stored in a SQL database as binary data. That's the only way we have found. We have unsuccessfully tried :
- CDO: incompatibilities with GWT Ecore
- Teneo: idem
- EMF-Store: no standalone version. It seems that it's not possible to bypass the Eclipse infrastructure.

How can we efficiently store the models and their versions without using Eclipse ?
Could anybody help ?

Thanks,
Tom
Re: Store EMF models in a database without using Eclipse [message #924128 is a reply to message #924107] Wed, 26 September 2012 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 26.09.2012 16:11, schrieb thomas legrand:
> Hi all,
>
> My team and I are searching for help to store models in a database. At this point, we don't have the right solution.
> We are trying to create an online EMF modeler allowing to :
>
> - easily create a class model and diagram
> - export the models as XMI, images ...
> - generate some code
>
> At the moment, we have a first beta version allowing to create class models, to store them and to generate some code
> (www.genmymodel.com) .
> It uses GWT and EMF-GWT on the client side, and the models are passed from the client to the server using a binary
> serialization.
>
> Our problem is: the models are stored in a SQL database as binary data. That's the only way we have found. We have
> unsuccessfully tried :
> - CDO: incompatibilities with GWT Ecore
I'm not very familiar with GWT. Can you elaborate on what these incompatibilities are?

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

> - Teneo: idem
> - EMF-Store: no standalone version. It seems that it's not possible to bypass the Eclipse infrastructure.
>
>
> How can we efficiently store the models and their versions without using Eclipse ?
> Could anybody help ?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Re: Store EMF models in a database without using Eclipse [message #924129 is a reply to message #924107] Wed, 26 September 2012 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erdal Karaca is currently offline Erdal KaracaFriend
You may also want to try Texo which can generate (JPA annotated) POJOs from ecore meta models.
Furthermore, this post seems to be related to yours:

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/377841/
Re: Store EMF models in a database without using Eclipse [message #924161 is a reply to message #924107] Wed, 26 September 2012 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Hi Thomas,
This blog post maybe of interest:
http://martintaal.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/emf-texo-json-rest-web-service-support-connecting-your-client-to-an-emf-supporting-web-server/

I am myself currently working on a Sencha Touch client side which communicates with the server generated by Texo.

gr. Martin

On 09/26/2012 04:11 PM, thomas legrand wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My team and I are searching for help to store models in a database. At this point, we don't have the right solution. We
> are trying to create an online EMF modeler allowing to :
>
> - easily create a class model and diagram
> - export the models as XMI, images ...
> - generate some code
>
> At the moment, we have a first beta version allowing to create class models, to store them and to generate some code
> (www.genmymodel.com) .
> It uses GWT and EMF-GWT on the client side, and the models are passed from the client to the server using a binary
> serialization.
>
> Our problem is: the models are stored in a SQL database as binary data. That's the only way we have found. We have
> unsuccessfully tried :
> - CDO: incompatibilities with GWT Ecore
> - Teneo: idem
> - EMF-Store: no standalone version. It seems that it's not possible to bypass the Eclipse infrastructure.
>
>
> How can we efficiently store the models and their versions without using Eclipse ?
> Could anybody help ?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307
Mail: mtaal@xxxxxxxx - mtaal@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org
Re: Store EMF models in a database without using Eclipse [message #924192 is a reply to message #924161] Wed, 26 September 2012 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And to add to it.. Texo also provides a EMFJSONResource which communicates with the backend Texo JSON Server. Not sure,
but maybe you can use the EMFJSONResource in EMF-GWT to. Or maybe it is easy to create a specific EMF-GWT JSON resource.
If this is of interest let me know, maybe we can cooperate on this.

gr. Martin

On 09/26/2012 05:08 PM, Martin Taal wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> This blog post maybe of interest:
> http://martintaal.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/emf-texo-json-rest-web-service-support-connecting-your-client-to-an-emf-supporting-web-server/
>
>
> I am myself currently working on a Sencha Touch client side which communicates with the server generated by Texo.
>
> gr. Martin
>
> On 09/26/2012 04:11 PM, thomas legrand wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My team and I are searching for help to store models in a database. At this point, we don't have the right solution. We
>> are trying to create an online EMF modeler allowing to :
>>
>> - easily create a class model and diagram
>> - export the models as XMI, images ...
>> - generate some code
>>
>> At the moment, we have a first beta version allowing to create class models, to store them and to generate some code
>> (www.genmymodel.com) .
>> It uses GWT and EMF-GWT on the client side, and the models are passed from the client to the server using a binary
>> serialization.
>>
>> Our problem is: the models are stored in a SQL database as binary data. That's the only way we have found. We have
>> unsuccessfully tried :
>> - CDO: incompatibilities with GWT Ecore
>> - Teneo: idem
>> - EMF-Store: no standalone version. It seems that it's not possible to bypass the Eclipse infrastructure.
>>
>>
>> How can we efficiently store the models and their versions without using Eclipse ?
>> Could anybody help ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tom
>
>

--

Springsite/Elver.org
The Netherlands
Re: Store EMF models in a database without using Eclipse [message #925201 is a reply to message #924128] Thu, 27 September 2012 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Eike,

The major difficulty is due to the fact that we use EMF-GWT. It's a subset providing most of the features of EMF to GWT, i.e those that can be translated to javascript.
For example, the XMIResource does not exist in EMF-GWT (I assume the file system operations cannot be handled by a javascript client). There was no way to use the XMIResource on server side but CDO needs it.
We tried not to share the concerned classes for both the client and server sides but this trick was very hard to achieve and unmaintainable.

Cheers
Tom

Re: Store EMF models in a database without using Eclipse [message #925215 is a reply to message #925201] Thu, 27 September 2012 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Erdal & Martin,
Thank you for your suggestions and for the post, I'm happy to see there's maybe a solution.
We had a close look to Texo and it seems to be a good clue for our issue. Our first try will be the EMFJSONResource. If we can not directly achieve it,
we propose to develop the connector EMFJSONResource/EMF-GWT or an extended class.
I'm glad to cooperate with you ! What's the best way to do, be in touch and create a patch ?

Cheers,
Tom

Re: Store EMF models in a database without using Eclipse [message #925362 is a reply to message #925215] Thu, 27 September 2012 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Tom,
If you have changes to the EMFJSONResource or can implement a generic EMF-GWT JSON connector resource then the approach
is to create a bugzilla on texo and attach your code/patch to it. We can discuss it then in the bugzilla.

I am always interested to add these type of things to Texo.

gr. Martin

On 09/27/2012 03:54 PM, thomas legrand wrote:
> Hi Erdal & Martin,
> Thank you for your suggestions and for the post, I'm happy to see there's maybe a solution.
> We had a close look to Texo and it seems to be a good clue for our issue. Our first try will be the EMFJSONResource. If
> we can not directly achieve it, we propose to develop the connector EMFJSONResource/EMF-GWT or an extended class.
> I'm glad to cooperate with you ! What's the best way to do, be in touch and create a patch ?
>
> Cheers,
> Tom
>
>

--

Springsite/Elver.org
The Netherlands
Re: Store EMF models in a database without using Eclipse [message #925910 is a reply to message #925201] Fri, 28 September 2012 06:03 Go to previous message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 27.09.2012 15:43, schrieb thomas legrand:
> Hi Eike,
>
> The major difficulty is due to the fact that we use EMF-GWT. It's a subset providing most of the features of EMF to
> GWT, i.e those that can be translated to javascript.
> For example, the XMIResource does not exist in EMF-GWT (I assume the file system operations cannot be handled by a
> javascript client). There was no way to use the XMIResource on server side but CDO needs it.
> We tried not to share the concerned classes for both the client and server sides but this trick was very hard to
> achieve and unmaintainable.
I see. CDO needs the emf.ecore.xmi plugin only for one specific purpose: A client serializes all new packages to XMI and
sends the resulting text to the server, which only stores it so that other clients that don't have the original packages
deployed can use it to build a dynamic model. If all clients always have all models deployed in generated form then CDO
wouldn't need XMI at all. If there are no other blockers we could think about how to factor the XMI dependency out of
the CDO core plugins.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Previous Topic:Hibernate EList
Next Topic:[CDO] Undo/Redo of CDOTransactions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:17:29 GMT 2024